Ski will not shut down

Intermittent problem with a 1996 SeaDoo SPI. It sometimes will not shut down with the press of the start/stop switch. Even pulling the lanyard will not shut it down! But later on all starts working again. A little later it won’t shut down again. WHAT IS GOING ON?

I would think something is loose. Or is the MPEM going flaky? Need someone to point me in the right direction to start troubleshooting.

Thanks in advance!

+1
    are the rpms climbing like crazy when it does this or is it just idleing?

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    this is a lean condition called glow plugging...your carb fuel screens are dirty. I bet you have the old gray fuel lines? need to clean the fuel selector too.

RPM's do not climb. Just trying to turn it off at idle.

Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    this is a lean condition called glow plugging...your carb fuel screens are dirty. I bet you have the old gray fuel lines? need to clean the fuel selector too.

I just recently rebuilt the top end. (Maybe 2 hours runtime.) Changed out the fuel lines before putting the rebuilt engine in. I also took the fuel selector apart and cleaned it really well as I was doing the fuel lines.

I'll check carb fuel screens again for any possible trash that got into them... but the ski idles and runs very well through all ranges!

Any additional ideas?

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    maybe a stuck needle and seat? possible air leak?

+1
    ditto on the air leak.. atleast from what i have read..

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by DKFox View Post
    Intermittent problem with a 1996 SeaDoo SPI. It sometimes will not shut down with the press of the start/stop switch. Even pulling the lanyard will not shut it down! But later on all starts working again. A little later it won’t shut down again. WHAT IS GOING ON?

I would think something is loose. Or is the MPEM going flaky? Need someone to point me in the right direction to start troubleshooting.

Thanks in advance!
    This is an electrical problem, not a lean condition. If you are for sure hitting the start/stop button and it does not die, it very well could be your MPEM. Or...you have a bad start/stop switch AND a bad lanyard post! When starting the ski, does it always engage the starter immediately? Or do you have to push and push to finally get it to start cranking? If no, it's probably just the MPEM.

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    This is an electrical problem, not a lean condition. If you are for sure hitting the start/stop button and it does not die, it very well could be your MPEM. Or...you have a bad start/stop switch AND a bad lanyard post! When starting the ski, does it always engage the starter immediately? Or do you have to push and push to finally get it to start cranking? If no, it's probably just the MPEM.

I'm thinking MPEM too. The orignal MPEM was causing the starter to engage the moment a battery was connected. (I posted a few times on that problem too trying to find a solution.) I ended up putting an MPEM from a 1995 XP in there. It is not the same number as the original MPEM but supposed to be compaitable with the ski per some charts I found.

What's got me is that most of the time it works like it is supposed to do. Then all of a sudden it will not turn off by the switch or the laynard. It keeps running just like nothing happend at all. Then all of a sudden both the switch and laynard will start working again.

I'm planning to get back into the electrical box and make certain I don't have a lose connection. Sure hope that is all it is... because its dangerous to ride the ski without the laynard working 100% of the time.

Thread Information