What do you guys think of the dealerships diagnosis?

I just purchased my first PWC a brand new 2008 RXT-X. The first time I went out to use it my family was on vacation. I started in the water and the low 12 VOLT light came on and stayed on. Luckily I brought my Battery Tender and charged it over night. After about three starts the light came back on. I called the dealer and they told me to find a local Sea-Doo dealership and get another battery. After three days a gel battery came in and I installed it and that one also caused the light to come on. I charged that one over night and all of my battery related problems were over --OR SO I THOUGHT!!!
    At about 2.5 hours of use on this jet ski, the exhaust hose blew off and the ski ingested a ton of water and stalled out while my wife and daughter were on it. I took it into my local dealer and they performed the BOIL OUT procedure as well as rebuilt the supercharger and changed the plugs under warranty. I finally got the ski back and took it out on the lake and it ran horribly. It was missing and I could not get it up to much over 40 miles per hour. I called the dealer back and they asked me to bring the ski back. I brought the ski back and after a week of having it they told me that they took it out to the lake and it ran great -- ran 67 miles per hour all day. So I asked what the problem was with the complete loss of performance and they inquired about the new battery and who installed it. I told them that I did almost a month ago and they said that one of the terminals was loose causing the ski to run poorly. I responded that they were the last ones to work on the ski and one of their technicians probably did not tighten the terminals down. He stated that they never touched the battery and that for me to pick it up it would be $145.00 for the lake testing fee. I asked why they did not load test the battery before going out to the lake and he said there fee stands and if I want to pick up my ski I need to bring the money. I called BRP and they were useless and stated that each dealership is individually owned. Would a loose battery connection cause a LOSS of POWER or would the ski just completely stall out and die??? Sorry for the long drawn out novel but I am upset and new to this PWC arena and the dealership knows it.

A loose battery cable "could" cause erratic issues. Esp the ground.
    I think you might just be F'ed and have to pay their fee IF you
    want to get your boat back.
    Just remember how they treated you and don't ever go back.
    You wouldn't want them screwing with anything if they think
    that you are the dickhead.

Wow, that's shitty. Put it on a credit card and then dispute the charge or pay with a check and stop payment, call the Better Business Bureau; don't stand for this shit for a second. They're basically stealing from you if they're holding your ski hostage until you pay some BS fee that they didn't tell you about until after the fact.

Personally I don't think that a loose battery cable should cause that and even if it does, they shouldn't be charging you to diagnose a problem with a ski under warranty. That's their job to do, not yours. The battery was bad in the first place and that's why you replaced it, it isn't like you added some high performance mod or something that caused the issue.

+1
    last time i checked, the first thing you are supposed to do when working on a ski is unhook the battery. Might be able to nail there a**! good luck

Even when I've tried to work on the engine w/o taking the battery out, I can't remember a time when I didn't manage to drop a tool or a piece of hardware under the motor...only way to get it out is from the front...by taking the battery out!

Sounds like a raw deal, and if it was loose they should have found it with a quick inspection in the shop, not by riding 2.5 hours on your dime.

Quote Originally Posted by stop23 View Post
    Even when I've tried to work on the engine w/o taking the battery out, I can't remember a time when I didn't manage to drop a tool or a piece of hardware under the motor...only way to get it out is from the front...by taking the battery out!

Sounds like a raw deal, and if it was loose they should have found it with a quick inspection in the shop, not by riding 2.5 hours on your dime.
    Ever hear of compressed air? It will blow even a complete rachet and socket out from under the Ski. Even a water hose will doit. Sounds like they found it and made sure that was the problem. It takes me an hour to get to the water and back not to mention changing clothes launching the Ski and untie and tie it to the trailer. No charge for wear n tear on my truck or fuel.

First the battery problem isnt fixed or is it. Did they put it on Buds to check for faults ? The water test charge is normal but I think 2 much for the test unless they put it on Buds. Yous guys like to jump on Dealers. If he spent 2 hours looking for a problem he should get payed for 2 hours. He may have caused it but he may not have. You dont have the expertise to do these things your self so you might want to keep on good terms with them. Or you can just get in a pissing contest and get your Ski back for $145 and not see them again. But what if this is a good as it gets? LOL I can tell you some story's but Its hard to keep a good tech. Dont make much and people insult and lie to them all the time. Not saying that you did any of this but. Look at it from all sides. don't just start a lynching party Guys

There was a BRP dealer alert for dealers to remove all the hoses, clean the hoses and retighten them. It sounds like the hose blew off because the dealer didn't do their job. Make sure to identify the dealer in the Recommended Dealer post in the Sea Doo General section so that others are aware of their practices... Ron

Thread Information