Thread: HELP?????

HELP?????

hey all this is a ques. for my friend he has a 98xpl 951 he changed the wearring in it the other day. it was made without the rubber ring between the pump housing and the hull. a guy told him he could just put a ring in it instead of gasketmaker so that was what he did. today we went to the lake and it ran fine at first well for a few and then it would only run 6500rpms, and it started to miss so he lifted the hood to see what was going on and it was full of water front to back and up to the bottom of the motor so we rushed it in and i got on it and it had a bad vibration and we drain the water on the trailer and backed it back into the water and it slowly took water on agian but couldnt see where it was coming from i looked at the driveshaft seal and couldnt see it leaking so no idea. can anyone help with the vibration and the slow water leak. and this ski never took on water or ran bad until he put the wear ring in so dont know if he did somthing wrong of if a bearing or somthing went down. thanks matt

+1
    my guess is that he is missing the two bailor tubes in the venturi

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    +1

+1
    Who was the "guy" tell him I said he's a a hole..

the original brass 98xpl pump will NOT accept the newer style rubber-ring as your calling it. what happens is once he installed it and cranked down the 4 pumps bolts, the pump got twisted and cocked' so the drive shaft and thru hull fitting was crooked and thats where the water came in.

tke off the sealing ring, and get some artist foam at wal mart in the sewing section, it's about the size of a sheet of paper with a sticky back. trace the pump face onto it and cut accordingly so it can be stuck to the hull in the pump support depression, without blocking ANY water flow. now mount the pump back correctly using a criss cross tighting method on the pump nuts.

TLR

ok guys thanks ill tell him i figured it was the rubber ring doing it but i just hope it didnt miss up the driveshaft seal sence it was spining out of round.

Thread Information