Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 108
  1. #1

    Check out these pics of my old rectifier!

    I'm pretty positive this is/was my problem... This thing is burnt! The solder contacts are blackened, and you can see where it got so hot it discolored the circuit board inside. The Sea Doo would fire up fine, but sometimes would display "12V low" on the info center, and after awhile would start running poorly, dropping rpms, sputtering, etc at anything above idle. I REALLY hope this solves my problems!





    I replaced it with a new one this evening, I haven't had a chance to test it out yet. Hopefully Wednesday!


  2. #2
    96XPSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Posts
    4,361
    You should pull you front cover and inspect the stator for heat discoloration too. I can almost guarantee it is bad also. If you don't, and fire it up with the new rectifier, and it is bad, it will fry your brand new rectifier.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    You should pull you front cover and inspect the stator for heat discoloration too. I can almost guarantee it is bad also. If you don't, and fire it up with the new rectifier, and it is bad, it will fry your brand new rectifier.


    Good idea! Is the stator #8 in this picture?

    http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....pe=13&A=36&B=1

    Damn, $300! How hard is it to get to that part?

  4. #4
    96XPSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Posts
    4,361
    Yes, you are right. The epoxy that covers the copper windings are gray in color. If you see where the epoxy has turned brown anywhere, it is shorted and needs replacing. You can't diagnose this ohming externally, it is already at .1 to .2 ohms.

    The front engine cover needs pulling. Whar ski is it in?
    Last edited by 96XPSS; 08-23-2009 at 02:17 PM.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    Yes, you are right. The epoxy that covers the copper windings are gray in color. If you see where the epoxy has turned brown anywhere, it is shorted and needs replacing. You can't diagnose this ohming externally, it is already at .1 to .2 ohms.

    The front engine cover needs pulling. What ski is it in?

    First and foremost, I want to thank you for helping me with this and my other issues! If we ever meet up, I owe you some beers!

    With that out of the way, it is a 1996 Sea Doo GSX. How much of a pain in the butt is it to remove? I just want to know what I am getting myself in to. If I do pull it and the gray epoxy is still gray, are there any other tests I can do? Also, if the stator is ok, do you think anything else could be wrong or could it be the rectifier went bad? Lastly, are there any gaskets I will need to purchase when I remove the front cover, or do you use permatex? Thanks a million!

  6. #6
    I did a search on another issue I am having, and from what I found I feel it pertinent to mention that my SeaDoo never beeps. Ever.

  7. #7
    flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mahomet, Il. USA
    Posts
    6,004
    +1
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1 View Post
    With that out of the way, it is a 1996 Sea Doo GSX. How much of a pain in the butt is it to remove? I just want to know what I am getting myself in to. If I do pull it and the gray epoxy is still gray, are there any other tests I can do? Also, if the stator is ok, do you think anything else could be wrong or could it be the rectifier went bad? Lastly, are there any gaskets I will need to purchase when I remove the front cover, or do you use permatex? Thanks a million!
    you have some more room in a GSX so all you need to do is prop up the front of the engine and take all the 10mm bolts out and the motor mount 13mm. you will also have to disconnect the oil pump lines from the top of the pump. after that pull straight towards the front of the ski. There is a rubber seal that is in the stator cover. no permetex required.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    you have some more room in a GSX so all you need to do is prop up the front of the engine and take all the 10mm bolts out and the motor mount 13mm. you will also have to disconnect the oil pump lines from the top of the pump. after that pull straight towards the front of the ski. There is a rubber seal that is in the stator cover. no permetex required.
    Sweet, thanks! How do the oil pump lines disconnect? How many ft/lbs do I retorque these things to?

  9. #9
    flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mahomet, Il. USA
    Posts
    6,004
    +1
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1 View Post
    Sweet, thanks! How do the oil pump lines disconnect? How many ft/lbs do I retorque these things to?
    they are held on with a very small c shaped clamp.. if you grab the hose it will pull right off. look at the base of the hose and you will see what I mean. As for ft/lbs...refer to the manual if you have one. I dont think its that much. personally, I get them pretty snug. dont over torque cause they will snap off. just enough that its tight and compressed the seal to keep water out.

    Dude....your avitar looks like one of those little monsters from the old Sci-fi flick Critters

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    they are held on with a very small c shaped clamp.. if you grab the hose it will pull right off. look at the base of the hose and you will see what I mean. As for ft/lbs...refer to the manual if you have one. I dont think its that much. personally, I get them pretty snug. dont over torque cause they will snap off. just enough that its tight and compressed the seal to keep water out.

    Dude....your avitar looks like one of those little monsters from the old Sci-fi flick Critters

    Lol! Yeah, CatShark creeps more than a few people out. I actually had a guy PM me on one of my car forums asking me to change it as it was scaring his 4 year old daughter!

    Would pulling the front part of that big purple manifold make this job easier or am I creating more work for myself?

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Check out these videos of skis riding in the rapids
    By Green Hulk in forum Open Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-27-2015, 01:07 PM
  2. Pics of my old x-4 miller 1050
    By WICKEDSEADOO in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 11-02-2013, 02:07 AM
  3. taking gas out of my old rxp
    By rearviewneons in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-15-2011, 12:07 AM
  4. I found my missing rpms....check out these pics!
    By Robsauto2 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 07-16-2007, 06:40 AM
  5. Check out these pics of the 07's and Riva stage 3
    By Green Hulk in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-22-2006, 04:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •