Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ski won't start and throwing a code

Ok so I have been having some starting problems the last couple weeks. It would flash 12V low when it first starts and sometimes doesn't turn over right away instead just clicked, but it always started eventually and ran fine all day.

Fast forward to yesterday, I was riding and the ski beeped, shut off, and flashed check engine. The code it flashed was P0344 for the Cam Sensor. I talked to a dealer they said it didn't seem like it was the Cam sensor, but I don't trust them. I took a video of it trying to start. Basically it tried to start, turns over, but never starts now. Any ideas? Thanks.

+1
    Check the battery a weak battery will cause all kinds of problems.

I charged it last week to see if it was the problem and it didn't help. Just checked it now though. Sitting it is at about 12.2-12.4V and with a load it sits in the same range.

+1
    pull the valve cover off and check for a broken timing chain to rule out that possibility.
    The engine sure sounds like it's spinning awfully fast in your video

And that is why I figured the dealer was wrong. It seems to spin very fast. I guess I'll do that later on. Does it take a long time, or pretty straight forward? I saw a few torx bolts holding it on, and then figured just the stuff bolted on top had to come off.

+1
    Forget i said to remove the valve cover. Much less work to just remove the vent valve at the back of the head. Once you remove it pull out the thrust washer (item 21 on the diagram in the link) to prevent it from dropping down inside the engine.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....e=13&A=149&B=3

Once you do this just peek inside while you bump the starter slowly to see if the sprocket is turning. If it's not turning then your cam chain is broken.

If it is broken you have big problems..... bent valves, etc.

Did this ski ever suffer a supercharger clutch failure?

Yeah it did a while ago and hadn't had any problems. They claimed to have used metal washers in the rebuild, but I found that hard to believe when the receipt didn't state it.

I have a feeling it is snapped, but I'll check and see first.

So it could have something to do with the failed washes from before?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach07RXP View Post
    Yeah it did a while ago and hadn't had any problems. They claimed to have used metal washers in the rebuild, but I found that hard to believe when the receipt didn't state it.
    If they rebuilt the supercharger it has metal washers. The new rebuild kits from seadoo have metal washers.

I have a feeling it is snapped, but I'll check and see first.
    Unfortunately i feel it's snapped too. I have seen quite a few timing chains fail especially after a ceramic washer failure.

So it could have something to do with the failed washes from before?
    Yes, because the ceramic washer falls down and can catch between the crank gear and timing chain damaging the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    If they rebuilt the supercharger it has metal washers. The new rebuild kits from seadoo have metal washers.

Unfortunately i feel it's snapped too. I have seen quite a few timing chains fail especially after a ceramic washer failure.

Yes, because the ceramic washer falls down and can catch between the crank gear and timing chain damaging the chain.
    That's good to know. At least it gives me something to bring back to the dealer in case they try to say that they have nothing to do with each other.

+1
    Ok so I have been having some starting problems the last couple weeks. It would flash 12V low when it first starts and sometimes doesn't turn over right away instead just clicked, but it always started eventually and ran fine all day.

Fast forward to yesterday, I was riding and the ski beeped, shut off, and flashed check engine. The code it flashed was P0344 for the Cam Sensor. I talked to a dealer they said it didn't seem like it was the Cam sensor, but I don't trust them. I took a video of it trying to start. Basically it tried to start, turns over, but never starts now. Any ideas? Thanks.

that happen alot tide the cable on the stater is problable lose .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information