Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What oil to use in my 250X

I have a new 2008 Ultra 250X and plan to change the oil myself so I know it is done right. I got the oil vac pump and the filter removal wrench, even got the supercharger belt tension tool plus a factory service manual. Plan to document all work just in case, just like I do on my HD Nightrod Special. My question is what oil would be a good choice, not the extreme expensive but just a good oil. I know that a rating of API SG or Jaso MA is of choice, done some reading but want some ideas. I took a look at the Castrol GPS, looks to be a good oil anyone use this and also what do most of you use? thanks Mike

I run Castrol synthetic 10-40W

Ive heard allot about the Castrol , how long have you been using it in the Ultra? How many hours on the ski using the Castrol? Any GIO issues? just curious because I have 38 hrs on my 07 Ultra & getting ready to do my own first oil change, Ive always had the dealer do it, now I'm on my own. Any input is surely appreciated.

Gee I have 190 hours on my ski. No GIO issues, Did the Kawi "recommended break in". Change oil every 50 hours. Once had a leak in exhaust gasket (caught it quick) and had water in oil at 156 hours. Changed gaskets and oil at same time. Almost ready to change again at 200 hours. New filters always is a must. Now the real info, no timing mod, I have the BOV blocked off and Valve covers blocked. I also am running a riva plate with LX wedge and RnD pumpm cone. Have always used full synthetic in my ski, I don't race (I mean organized races as we have none here in Hawaii), my ski is set up for big wave riding. Also i have SC lube mod and do that religiously after every ride. Ski runs great and I am turning about 7700 rpms GPS'd at 70.1 on glass that is in the bay!!!

edit: I bought the ski on April 1 2007. also snapped one SC belt. I run it hard!!!

I use Amsoil Marine 10/40 full synthetic.

I guess the Castrol is the way to go, Ive also heard from others who have nothing but good things to say about the castrol, Ive heard good things about Amsoil, I think castrol would just be a cheaper way to go. My mods are Riva Ride plate, Riva Air Intake, 2* wedge I got 68.8 GPS & was 64 stock, I'm going to do the BOV block off & valve cover, and delete one water box. Hopefully I"l see 70. Thanks for the input!

Oil in my 260-X

I use AMSOIL Formula 4 Stroke Marine, Full Synthetic, 10W-40.

With a K&N KN-204 Filter.

oil change

Be very careful that you don't break the oil pressure send unit with the oil filter wrench, I did 40 buck boo boo.. Best to unplug it and remove its just above the oil filter. I run amsoil no problems yet. 29 hours.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wpabrams View Post
    Be very careful that you don't break the oil pressure send unit with the oil filter wrench, I did 40 buck boo boo.. Best to unplug it and remove its just above the oil filter. I run amsoil no problems yet. 29 hours.
    Ooh you must be on Lake Murray--great lake. Kept my boat there at Jake's Landing over 15 years ago. Boy the "good ol' days"...what memories.

Amsoil, in my bike, lawnmower and skis

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information