Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2002 700 Virage with spark problems

I've got a 2002 700 virage carb, after riding for 35 minutes the pto cylinder quites firing, once the machine cools down it will run fine again for another 35 minutes, i replaced the coil and plug wires and the problem still exists, after reading and looking at some diagrams i am wondering if the stator is heating up and the trigger is loosing power and not working, i don't think it's a cdi problem, any thoughts would be great.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

How do you know it is the PTO cylinder that is not running?

The Polaris domestic twin engine has a single ignition coil, which fires both spark plugs together, every time either cylinder needs a spark.

One end of the coil secondary connects to one spark plug, the other end of the same ignition coil connects to the other spark plug.

When the coil fires, the spark energy goes to one spark plug, through the engine block to the other spark plug, then up through that plug back to the coil.

The engine block is not a 'ground' for the ignition coil on a two cylinder engine. The spark merely uses the block as an electrical path between the two plugs.

If you remove either or both spark plugs from the engine, they must be connected/contacting to the other spark plug body, in order for either plug to fire correctly.

i used a spark tester and the pto cylinder has no spark, i have looked at the diagrams and i am wondering if the stator is getting heat soaked after a .5hr of running and maybe the brown wire is opening up going to the pto trigger coil and not supplying voltage to it, thus not telling the cdi to fire.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bubster6 View Post
    I used a spark tester and the PTO cylinder has no spark...
    You missed my point.

Both spark plugs fire together, every time, from a single ignition coil. There is one coil for both spark plugs, not a separate coil for each plug.

The CDI fires the coil every half rotation, and both plugs fire together. One spark plug ignites actual combustion, the other simultaneous spark through the other spark plug is wasted during the exhaust/intake cycle of the other cylinder. One half revolution later, it all happens again, with the alternate cylinder now firing combustion, and the other spark now being 'wasted'.

The only way I can see for only one plug to not fire is if the ignition coil was failing internally, and shorting to ground, or to the primary.

Ohm check the ignition coil cold, and again when it fails (if you can).
    How do I test old and new domestic red engine CDI, Magneto and Ignition coils?

Otherwise, the shortcut fix would be to try a different/new ignition coil.

You might want to check or replace the plug wires/caps at the same time.

i thought the same thing because i knew the coil fired both plugs at the same time, so i did install a new coil and both new plug wires on the motor, it ran for 35 minutes, it missed a couple of times on and off and then it finally dropped to one cylinder, it had no power and you could tell it was running on one. i figured it was the coil, no such luck. the bad thing is it takes so long to get the thing to act up, would there be any other tests you think i should try? thanks for the info.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bubster6 View Post
    ...would there be any other tests you think I should try?...
    Not firing on one cylinder is not the same as not having spark on that cylinder (for the twin engines).

I see now that I misread your original post.

Swap the Hall Effect sensor signal wires where they connect to the CDI. Swap the Red and Green wires - leave everything else as it was. Red CDI to Green Hall Effect sensor, Green CDI to Red sensor.

If the problem moves to the other cylinder when the engine has warmed up, then the stator Hall Effect sensors are the problem, and the stator may need replacing.

If the problem stays with the same cylinder, then the CDI is the suspect.

thanks, i appreciate the help! i will try that and see what happens, i used to work for a dealer back when tigershark was around, what a fun time that was!

Talking

just ran the ski, this time it only took 15 minutes of running before it dropped to one cylinder, i got back to the trailer and swapped the red and green wires and the dead cylinder went from the pto side to the mag cylinder, the hall effect sensor for the pto cylinder must open up when it warms up, so i swapped the red and green wires back and fourth and the dead cylinder followed. so the cdi and coil are working ok, i'm gonna put on a stator. THANKS FOR THE GREAT HELP!

+1
    Let us know how it goes with the new stator.

i just installed the new stator, just got off the lake and the problem still exists, the pto cylinder will not fire after .5hr, if i switch the hall effect wires around the pto cylinder fires and the mag doesn't. i checked resistance at the plug where the stator plugs into the electrical box, both red and green wires have good continuity, the only thing left is the cdi, any more ideas before i order a new cdi? should i do the test with the 9 volt battery on the hall efect sensors? any info would be great. thanks Brent

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information