+1

Timming Chain Change

How many hours should you change the timming change? Is there a proceedure for changing the timming chain?

+1
    There is no preset interval to change the timing chain like you see on cars.

The procedure is outlined in the shop manual.

Kind of a pain to change. The crank has to be lifted up so you can get the old chain off and the new one on.

+1
    OH I figured while I had the motor out doing my GPRXP I would do the timming chain while it was not in the ski I gues not then....

Oh yea thanks Jerry

+1
    Yea, it is not just a easy swap. You need to split the cases and make dam sure if you are doing it the cheap ass way (Leaving the flywheel on) you better mark the CB and crank on the back side as the index marks are on the pto side of them.

How many hours on the motor? Hell I know of ski's in the 200hours on there original chains.

+1
    80hrs

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lvnspeed View Post
    80hrs

as long as the charger didnt fail and have something nick the chain you should be fine. look the chain over really good for any marks and also in the manual there is a tolerance for side to side play. and if it exceeds the tolerance you should change it.

+1
    Just do it ! It is a easy thing to do. Undo the cam gear and the tensioner. Pull the pto houseing and t-state, Flip the motor, pull the plug caps, then main and case bolts. Pop the bottom half of the cases. Mark the CB to the crank as to replace it in the exact same spot, (the indicating marks are on the PTO side of the Crank and CB and you can't see them with the Flywheel on)Lift the crank up and remove the guide as the chain wont come out easy with it in the way. Also the pistons will not come out of there bores because the oil jets will stop them. I set the cb out of the way and replace it to the marks when chain is in.
    Reverse order.

+1
    I have never tired it, but on several automotive engines I have changed chains by removing the camshaft so there is no interference, then just split one link on the new chain and the old chain with a proper pin pusher, link the end of the old to the end of the new, roll it through, take off the old chain, push the pin back in to complete the new chain, and put the cam back in. Retime according to manual.

Works on cars? very non invasive. You must have the proper tool for pushing the pins, you can get it at a good bike shop or motor cycle shop. I have one that will definitely fit the seadoo chain.

When the time comes I will certianly try it this way.

Thread Information