Life is Supercharged (without ceramics)
    +1

seadoo rxp sluggish when taking off, sc? or impeller ?

hi guys

i have a 2005 rxp with approx 68 hours and its been running great, it was fine last season. Then at the beginning of this year i changed the oil and installed a new intake grate (riva) and ive had some issues lately. Also got new plugs installed and now had the injectors cleaned.

It seems to have a block in acceleration, it will start up and idle fine and then when you accelerate to WOT, it will be responsive and go to around 6000rpm and then hold it there for a sec or two afterwhich it goes to around 7700 and just under 8000 sometimes.

Top speed seems to be about the same and is around 67, 68 depending on the water.

However the odd part is that if i go WOT and reach around 60+ mph and then immediately slow to idle and then take off again, it will go straight to the redline point of just under 8000 rpm. However, if i go fast and then slow down and stay at idle a bit longer, say like 10 seconds and try to go to WOT again, it will do that thing up to 6000 and then wake up and go to under 8k.

So im clueless, i had my mechanic clean the injectors, he used a line cleaner and disconnected the fuel line at the rail. It seems to go to around 6700rpm now and then stop again for a bit. So its better but still not straight to red on wot.

Im thinking maybe the wear ring is gone?

another issue i was fearing was perhaps when i upgraded to metal sc washers, the nut that holds it all together lost some torque and the sc is slipping causing this turbo lag like effect.

it almost feels like if you are trying to accelerate in the wrong gear on a manual car, like you forgot to downshift. kind of like restricted either by air or gas.

I used up all the gas this run so i will try some 94 gas next time right before the run to see if it helps.

my rear end also makes some noise upon start up, like a bucket of bolts if i run it out of the water, but its relatively silent in the water. Ive been told thats pretty normal with seadoos to make that sound and mine has made that for a very long time so it cant be broken but i wanted to mention it just in case. i can post a sound clip/video of it if it will help. maybe its cavitating and losing power at that point. I also checked the impeller and there doesnt appear to be stuck with anything like weeds. So i cant figure out for the life of me whats causing the lag, maybe i need to invest in a riva air intake.

Thanks for reading this super long post LOL, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again guys,
    Ciprian

+1
    one quick thing, are fuel additives a waste of money for the rxp?? like say a combustion cleaner or injector cleaner that you add in the gas tank?

depending on what you guys think, i may take off my supercharger and check the torque on the main nut to make sure the supercharger is not slipping, thats almost what it feels like, it just feels like a non sc jet ski on take off.

maybe im just going crazy and everything is fine LOL

+1
    db post

Maybe check the fuel filter? Possibly gummed up from bad fuel sitting over the winter...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JR4 View Post
    Maybe check the fuel filter? Possibly gummed up from bad fuel sitting over the winter...
    is it a serious issue over time?

i had a service guy at jet-x performance say that i may need a charger rebuild.

Im not too thrilled about that so imgonna take my charger off and give it a nice cleaning and check the status of the torque on the main shaft.

Any other ideas on this lag in boost?

i guess a boost gauge would help right about now

I'm certainly not any type of expert on these things, but my ski had performance issues when I pulled it out this spring - felt fuel starved when I gunned it. So I started with the quick and cheap fixes. New plugs, and a $12 fuel filter seemd to make a big improvement on mine.

Of course we are running that crappy ethanol blended gas around here - turns to corn syrup after sitting all winter.

Thread Information