Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    "Tearing it up on the water" seadoobutch787's Avatar

Fixed a starter issue today

My 96xp's starter finally took a crap today just as i was getting ready to hit Lake Michigan, GO FIGURE. Anyways i took the starter apart and the stock seadoo starters only have 2 brushes i thought they would have 4. The 2 brushes were really worn where they didn't make good contact with the armature. Anyways i figured i could fix it myself and save some money. I took the brush plate out and the armature and cleaned everything with electro contact cleaner. My local seadoo dealer had the brush kit and the negative plate so i was good to go. With a lil patients and steady hands the new brush install went really well.

Shit it was alot cheaper than buying a new starter. Im thinking that 99% of starter problems is just worn brushes. I have to say that the 2 brushes that seadoo has is real easy to fix guys..

My ski fired right up and i was able to ride today with zero problems.

I paid less than 40 bucks for the parts.

I always keep a brush kit in stock on my bench. Comes in handy.

+1
    Can you give instructions on the best way to get the starter apart? I have a seized one here that I would like to rebuild myself.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Mike I rebuild mine too. Have a brush kit in the drawer.

It's a challenge to keep the brushes apart and get them back on, isn't it? The wires are so short!

Good job man...save folks here some bucks.

+1
    Is there a tutorial somewhere? I thought I saw some pictures on here but can't find them now.

"Tearing it up on the water" seadoobutch787's Avatar
    You put the neg plate on first and that will hold itself on the armature. To make the positve brush have more length you need to un screw the 10mm nut on the outside. There is a grove that the plate must fit into on the starter casing or it will not bolt back up. A vise will be handy to hold the starter upside down.

To take apart the starter you undo the 2- 8mm bolts on the back and then i used a dead blow hammer to tap the front part of the starter apart. The whole thing will come apart. You will notice that there will be alot of brush residue inside the magnets and the base of the starter along with some rust from water in some cases. I used contact cleaner to clean all of it up. Make sure that the magnets are in good shape when your cleaning them. If they are cracked there junk. I took some contact cleaner and cleaned the armature and i also used a wire wheel to clean the base of the armature. I cleaned the bendix up real good and then put some 3 in 1 oil on it.

Also make sure that you get some new o-rings for the starter, there is one on top and one on the bottom.

+1
    So I got around to taking apart a starter I pulled from a 1996 GSX that I plan to use as a back up for my GTX and XP. It came apart real easy and I didn't have to use the rubber mallet that I purchased today for this project.

So as it came apart, it felt like it just exploded in my hands. Have a look at the pictures and let me know if this is salvageable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0187.JPG 
Views:	103 
Size:	485.8 KB 
ID:	181538   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0188.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	434.3 KB 
ID:	181539   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0190.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	409.2 KB 
ID:	181540  

+1
    Whenever we go away on surf jumping trips we carry spares like Seat Hinges,starters,solenoids,props,Vts trim rods,drive shaft,shaft couplers,reeds,jet pumps,spare mpem and fuses. This stuff has saved us heaps of times.

The starters are an easy fix on the bench but a little harder on a beach so we just swap them over.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 785xp View Post
    So I got around to taking apart a starter I pulled from a 1996 GSX that I plan to use as a back up for my GTX and XP. It came apart real easy and I didn't have to use the rubber mallet that I purchased today for this project.

So as it came apart, it felt like it just exploded in my hands. Have a look at the pictures and let me know if this is salvageable.
    Third pic the commutator does not look so good, it looks like a good arc did that. Clean it up gently with a file, install new brushes and give it a try, worst case you take it apart and save the brushes for another starter.

When replacing brushes I use some fine steel wool or a 3M pad and clean up the commutator while you have it apart.

From experience check the round clip that holds the starter bendix assembly on the shaft when it is thrown forward. If it looks deformed replace it. I had a no start once and I could hear the starter spinning but not engaging, after taking everything apart the round clip had been sheared into two pieces. One piece was still on the starter shaft and the other was stuck inside the collar and was floating around inside the flywheel housing along with the spring.

What canuck said is what I've been thinking too. It looks like at the tip of the bar it melted. Hard to see.Might end up being a dead spot in the starter. Takes a special tool to check the continuity in the windings of a starter. I personally wouldn't use it. I ride by myself a lot so wouldn't take the chance it might not want to crank randomly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information