Unhappy help!? cant get starter off 2005 sea doo gtx

Here my most irritable situation..

Im a newbie on working on my jetski but im familier with car tech. I have a 2005 sea doo (blue) gtx 4-tec. Ive come to the conclusion that my starter must be bad, as i replaced solenoids, check the battery (with voltmeter which showed 13 volts (on a 0 load draw). the motor just clicks (like the solenoid is popping). I changed the fuses (even though none looked to be blown), at still nothing nothing at all. So i started doing some research, a shop manuel told me that to take off the starter (As i can only think this is the problem) (oh and the starter is getting plenty of voltage sending from the battery), all i had to do is disconnect the battery, take the starter lead off and unscrew two star nut bolts holding the starter in place. I have done all of these steps, and know the start is loose, yet with all my force i can not get it to move away from the housing, it just wiggles. This is the most irritating problem, and any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time! (oh ps im trying to avoid going to seadoo since ive done most of the leg work for them plus they want 79 an hour to work on the damn thing as a shop labor rate). ThANKS!!

Take out the 2 star bolts and pull straight back. You shouldn't need to pull the engine and you should be able to do it with one hand. There's 2 o-rings that seal the collar to the engine block. A little twist and wiggle will free it up.

Why do you think your starter is bad? Does the engine crank at all? Slow? Does the starter spin, but not engage with the engine? Or does it just click?

all i get is a click and the motor does not crank at all but nothing was looming that the engine was about to freeze up and the jetski had oil! puzzzling but i did try to shake the starter loose and it wont break away from the housing for some reason!?!?!Thanks for you help though!

please help?!?!? anyone??? im skiless

If the starter wiggles, it will come out...Pull straght back hard...The only thing that would hold it in is rust, a bent shaft, or misaligned bendix drive.

Try to turn the engine, by putting a wrench on the SC shaft. If the engine turns (CCW) without the clutch slipping, the engine isn't frozen. Take the plugs out first, so you don't fight the compression.

Quote Originally Posted by justseadooit View Post
    all i get is a click and the motor does not crank
    Before you pull everything apart, do yourself a favor and check a few things first (if you haven't already)

1) Take your battery to a battery shop or auto parts store and have them load test it. Just because the battery reads 12V, doesn't mean it's good...if you have a dead cell, it will read the voltage, but won't put out enough current.

2) Spend a couple of bucks on a battery cut-off switch and a cable. Connect the positive side of the battery through the switch directly to the starter. Ground the battery to the ski, and see if the starter turns. If it does, the problem is in the solenoid or the MPEM.

Good Luck.

Same problem with the starter locked in

Hey there... I have the same issue with my starter not wanting to come out. I have removed the bolts. I have turned the drive shaft. I have sprayed wd40. And, it is stuck. Any help to get this out would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by justseadooit View Post
    Here my most irritable situation..

Im a newbie on working on my jetski but im familier with car tech. I have a 2005 sea doo (blue) gtx 4-tec. Ive come to the conclusion that my starter must be bad, as i replaced solenoids, check the battery (with voltmeter which showed 13 volts (on a 0 load draw). the motor just clicks (like the solenoid is popping). I changed the fuses (even though none looked to be blown), at still nothing nothing at all. So i started doing some research, a shop manuel told me that to take off the starter (As i can only think this is the problem) (oh and the starter is getting plenty of voltage sending from the battery), all i had to do is disconnect the battery, take the starter lead off and unscrew two star nut bolts holding the starter in place. I have done all of these steps, and know the start is loose, yet with all my force i can not get it to move away from the housing, it just wiggles. This is the most irritating problem, and any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time! (oh ps im trying to avoid going to seadoo since ive done most of the leg work for them plus they want 79 an hour to work on the damn thing as a shop labor rate). ThANKS!!

Thread Information