Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2000 slx 1200 winter project mods/paint

I bought a 2000 slx 1200 in June and I am planning on doing some work to it over the winter I would like some help and opinions please. I have looked through some other slx 1200 mod threads and now I want to start my own.
    What should I do for performance mods and where can I buy them? I am interested in all options. Where can I get high compression domes and what about pipes?I would like to do everything I can from reeds to the impeller. What should I go with?
    I am planning on fixing the hull and repainting the ski. It has a few small scrapes, bangs, and dings in the bottom. What can I do to fix these and smooth out the ski again?

+1
    There is a huge laundry list of things you can do to this thing. It's really a question of how much money you want to throw at it...do you have a price range in mind? Once you can give us a price range, then we can tell you what are the most important things you can do within that amount.

I don't really want to put a limit on it by price. I have all winter so I will buy parts one at a time if I have to. I am extremely excited about this thank you for the help.

+1
    Well here goes...these would be my top items to do.

1. Fix hull with a marine S.M.C. filler. Then sand and true the hull...do a search on the forum and you will get some threads of how to do this.

2. Paint or gel coat hull.

3. Install an R&D small wing intake grate.

4. Install an Ocean Pro ride plate. Short version if you have no porposing problems, or the long version if you have porposing problems or want better rough water riding.

5. Install V-force 3 reeds.

6. Install high compression heads...you can buy them from Hot Seat or from someone selling a set.

7. Install a programmed CDI from Watcon depending on what you want for a setup.

8. Have the cylinders ported...I'd have Watcon or Sharps do it. You could bore out the cylinders to 85mm but you would then have to have the heads modified for that size...Sharps could make you new heads.

9. Install a Jet Works flow control valve on the waterline that goes from the top of the exhaust pipe down to the middle of the pipe. Or you can install triple pipes made for the Pro 1200 but it involves replacing a few things like the gas tank. TXpro1200 (Doug) can tell you all about what needs to be done for that.

10. Once you get your setup running right, then you can go after the impeller and have it modified accordingly...I suggest a NuJet.

11. Install an Adjust-a-thrust from Wetwolf once everything is dialed in.

12. Could install a finger throttle if you like them...use the finger throttle that comes on the MSX.

13. Could install a UMI steering column...do a search on the forum about those.

14. Could install bigger carbs.

15. Could install Beach House sponsons.

16. Could try a 6 degree wedge.

17. Replace the gray Tempo fuel lines!!

18. I like the oil injection system but you could put on a oil block-off plate and go pre-mix.

These are just the main items...I'm sure others can list some more tweek items.

Thanks for the ideas I love all I can get. I will take pictures as I go and put them in here. This will be a long drawn out project so as I get parts and different stuff done I will let you know about them. I would still love more ideas and options. Thanks everyone for the help.

+1
    Start a project thread in the project section for this...you will get more help that way as well.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1

pipes

triple pipes require you know how to tune and be very good at it,as well as be able to do all your own work.my virage is about as trouble free as you could hope for with pipes,my prothats a love hate relationship.do you want a 250cc dirt bike,flat out top speed on smooth water but sucks in the rough.you ain't gonna get both,not with that hull.

After a long wait I am finally beginning to start my winter project. I have started going through the list 32DegH2O gave me and I have begun buying parts so far I have the R&D intake grate, Jet Works control valve, v force 3 reeds. I sent a e-mail to watcon today about the programmed CDI, porting and boring. I am looking at some super stock domes that I might get. Any more suggestions, tips, or help (from your own experiences on taking this thing apart fixing it buying parts and putting it back together) for my build are much appreciated than you for all the help you guys have given so far.
    I found a web site that makes a screamer kit for my jet ski in the kit it had something called (FMR Hi-Flo flame arrestor top) what is this? What does it do? and where can I buy just it? I thought I about buying the kit but I decided I would put together my own with your help.

Quote Originally Posted by 2000slx1200 View Post
    After a long wait I am finally beginning to start my winter project. I have started going through the list 32DegH2O gave me and I have begun buying parts so far I have the R&D intake grate, Jet Works control valve, v force 3 reeds. I sent a e-mail to watcon today about the programmed CDI, porting and boring. I am looking at some super stock domes that I might get. Any more suggestions, tips, or help (from your own experiences on taking this thing apart fixing it buying parts and putting it back together) for my build are much appreciated than you for all the help you guys have given so far.
    I found a web site that makes a screamer kit for my jet ski in the kit it had something called (FMR Hi-Flo flame arrestor top) what is this? What does it do? and where can I buy just it? I thought I about buying the kit but I decided I would put together my own with your help.
    looks like a custom aftermarket F/A top, the only place I found a link for it is the manufacturer in Australia:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~fmrac...amer_kits.html

you should probably call them, I would be surprised if they still sold them.

+1
    Start a project thread in the project section...looking forward to your progress.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information