Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Saving the Manuals every day.. TheBlueMartin's Avatar
    +1

PTO wont come off

Im trying to remove my PTO from a 657, but even with 300 ft/lbs on it, it wont budge. Is there a trick to doing this (I have the manual, it just says unscrew counter-clockwise), or could the guy who built this screwed it up big time??

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    the are just on there really good. do you have the motor out of the ski? if you do wedge the motor against something, take the grease zerk out of the pto and get a pipe wrench. put it on there and kick or jump on the pipe wrench. or if you have a PTO socket put it on the end of an impact gun and hammer on it.

+1
    You can hammer and pry on that thing all day and it is not moving.

Get one of those propane mini-torches and heat the living crap out of that PTO. Oh, you might want to clean the grease out of it because you will need to fire it right up the middle of it. It will smoke and stink and all that, keep heating it.

Alternate between running the flame around the middle of the circle and inside the bore. The paint may even start to discolor...keep heating it.

How long, you ask? Until it is done is all I can tell you. The last one I did on a 717 I heated it for a good 15 minutes and then it still would not go so I heated it some more.

Quote Originally Posted by KrunchovXPL-GTX-RX View Post
    You can hammer and pry on that thing all day and it is not moving.

Get one of those propane mini-torches and heat the living crap out of that PTO. Oh, you might want to clean the grease out of it because you will need to fire it right up the middle of it. It will smoke and stink and all that, keep heating it.

Alternate between running the flame around the middle of the circle and inside the bore. The paint may even start to discolor...keep heating it.

How long, you ask? Until it is done is all I can tell you. The last one I did on a 717 I heated it for a good 15 minutes and then it still would not go so I heated it some more.
    Thats how i do it. I use map gas, heats quicker and hotter. You have to melt the loctite.

+1
    I am not sure if its like the 4-tec where you have to remove the left rear motor mount. It will not clear with the mount on.

I just did one about an hour ago 657x, motor was out, I use a mapp gas torch heated where the splined bit meets the larger bit, put a rope down the pto spark plug hole and using a prop tool and large breaker bar off it came. just be carefull with a flame inside the hull, when I'm not that secure about it I sometimes use a heat gun

Saving the Manuals every day.. TheBlueMartin's Avatar
    +1
    Thanks for all the input, Ill have to put some heat to it tonight and see if that does the trick. The motor is out of the hull, and the crank is out of the block (I bought it from a kid that got in over his head and had it all torn down).
    I tried my 700 ft/lbs SnapOn 1/2 impact on the spline tool last nigt after posting this, and it didnt even budge. I have a mag gas torch Ill try out tonight.

removal

which direction are you turning the PTO? counter clockwise I hope, mine was real hard to get off, even with a pipe wrench and a hammer, the heat thing would have helped.
    Ben

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlueMartin View Post
    I tried my 700 ft/lbs SnapOn 1/2 impact on the spline tool last nigt after posting this, and it didnt even budge.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    Classic

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information