2000 XL 1200 Limited

Hey fellas,

I was looking at buying a 2000 XL 1200 Limited. It's too cold to test it out and I don't know what to look for.

Also does anyone have any reviews on this ski? I currently own a WBII760 which is heaps of fun. but I would mind upgrading to get a bit more room to double(triple) up and tow with.

Any advise and information would be great.

Thanks.

RCB

Had mine for 3 years and put 70 hours on it.Only problems for me came from previous bad owner! When I bought it it didn't tickover cleanly, and bogged badly from the holeshot.The carbs had never been touched and I destroyed the adjuster screws on 2 of them trying to get them to move 'cos the salt had got into the holes and welded them to the carb. I was lucky that Jim had a spare set he rebuilt and jetted for the European specs and it's run like a Rolls Royce since. The other problem was also salt damage when the splines on the end of the driveshaft and inside the intermediate shaft stripped out. Lucky I was near to shore 'cos I had no drive above tickover! Apart from that, it's been a great ski, with enough pull to easily get my 15 stone weight out of the water and up on my wakeboard with my 14 stone son driving. i wouldn't class it as a 3 seater (unless they are very small people), but it's a comfy 2 seater. It's very stable, jumps well in waves, takes about half a tank of petrol for a couple of hours of normal riding (not flat out!). I've read all the threads about oil pump lines failing, and pre-mix being the way to go, but I've put new oil and fuel lines on and finally found a UK supplier of Oetiker Clips to fasten the damn things on with, so I'm confident to stay with the injection system. The other absolute defo is a set of Waveater clips (dead easy to do) on the powervalves. This was the first ski to use the p/v motor before it became the XLT, and they can destroy a motor if they drop. The clips stop this happening. Seal the pump with a Riva kit to reduce cavitation 'cos they are prone to this, and it ruins your holeshot. Great ski with a few easy mods, and a good solid motor. I'd certainly have another one if offered!
    Last edited by pauladave; 08-19-2009 at 05:42 AM. Reason: extra info

I like mine as well not as fast as the gprs but has more storage space and is more stable with 2 on it you, you must fix the oil line they all have problems coming off mine fell off at 55 hours and it is a 2004 do a comp. test on all cylinders and look it over real good even underneath before you buy it. then when the motor gets old and tired you can put a 1300 topend on it like i did stock it ran 55 gps now im at 71.2 gps with a 6 pack in a small cooler in the front. Ron

thanks Pauladave and zx11rider for your input. Sounds like you happy with your XL's.

my gf is quite petite and together we weigh 120kg (18.9 stones, 264lbs) and that's probably why the wb760v is good with us on it. but if I put my 15 stone bro in law on the back I notice the difference, plus he weighs a fair bit more than me, so I notice when he leans. the main reason I want the xl is because I want to tow skiers this summer and law here states you need a spotter.

So I've got a few more Questions please.

How does the xl1200 handle the open sea?
    I.e. the blaster is awesome, very fast acceleration from stop but tops out at about 75kph in the chop (GPS), which is good for me. And if I fall off and have to mount it in choppy sea it gets harder with two people. And if your not moving it tips/rolls real easy even in calmer water (with 2). So how stable is the XL compared to the WBII and the GPR1300r (only ski's I've ridden)

How does the xl 1200 turn?
    I've only ridden my wbII760 and a gpr1300. The wb is so easy to chuck around and launches quicker than the gpr1300r. The gpr1300 is slower off the mark (but blows away the WB after about 30metres) and turns slower but a fair bit more stable.

Cheers RCB

New to the Water Toy's
    Quote Originally Posted by rcb View Post

So I've got a few more Questions please.

How does the xl1200 handle the open sea?
    I.e. the blaster is awesome, very fast acceleration from stop but tops out at about 75kph in the chop (GPS), which is good for me. And if I fall off and have to mount it in choppy sea it gets harder with two people. And if your not moving it tips/rolls real easy even in calmer water (with 2). So how stable is the XL compared to the WBII and the GPR1300r (only ski's I've ridden)
    I havent had mine out in open seas but one of the lakes around here has 4 foot swells as times an it does great. powers threw alot fo the waves an doesnt toss an turn you. very stable in unstable conditions,
    How does the xl 1200 turn?
    I've only ridden my wbII760 and a gpr1300. The wb is so easy to chuck around and launches quicker than the gpr1300r. The gpr1300 is slower off the mark (but blows away the WB after about 30metres) and turns slower but a fair bit more stable.
    The turning is a little sluggish compared to a smaller 2 seater but thats a given. but i have no problem tossing it into a sharp turn an it holding.

Cheers RCB
    i mainly use my xl1200 to tow tubers (going ot try ski/wakeboard here in a a weeks) an it does great!. i have 3 people on it often an it can be a little unstable but i had alot of weight on there. overall ive had mine for a few months an LOVE IT. goodluck

Thread Information