Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2000 RX..Won't recognize battery.

Hey guys. New to the forum. I am on vacation and went to start up my ski and it doesn't even recognize that the battery is hooked up. I bought a new battery before leaving for vacation, because I found out that the battery that was previously in it was not the right size. Anyway, I took the new battery into town and had it checked. It has a full charge. I checked the cables. They don't have any corrosion and they are tightly attached to the battery. When I hook the key to the post, I don't get anything. No beep, no read out, nothing. I ran it several times last summer and didn't have any issues with it before I put it away for the winter. This is my first ski so I am pretty new at this. I don't want to start pulling things off that I don't need to. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

+1
    Check your fuses first. They are on the MPEM under the little box/cap thing and there is also two in the rear box where the batt and plug cables come from.

Wow..2 fuses blown...the second one down (5) and the next one which was a 7.5. The two in the back look good. Going to run to town and get new fuses. Hopefully this is all that is wrong.

Well we replaced the 2 fuses..Got the 2 beeps, tried to crank it once and it blew the fuse for iginition system....Grrrrr..Now what?? Maybe someone will steal it out of the driveway....

+1
    Check all your grounds.

+1
    The 7.5 is for the VTS. The 5 is the MPEM itself.

Try unplugging the VTS (two plugs, one six, and on two wire) and see if it blows it.

Yep that was it. Opened up the VTS unit and it was full of water..Grrrrrrrrr.. Water and electrical components do not mix. Looks like I will not be taking the ski out any time in the near future. The VTS motor is a total mess and the rubber boot on the outside is crumbling into many little pieces. Looks like I will have a nice spring project.

+1
    The old boot failure. You are not the first victim.

The boot is not too high and you can get a box with a motor for around 175-200 all day long (Andy Lohr and Wayniac are a couple guys that often have them).

You will need a new boot and clamps too (the clamps are not too expensive and if they are metal you definitely need to get the plastic ones).

To explain, that 5amp fuse is for the MPEM which also includes the gauges. Likely the sender part of the VTS box had shorted and thus took the 5amp with it.

Did you try to start it with the VTS unhooked to make sure everything else still works?

I tried to start it with out the VTS and it goes back to not beeping again. The neighbor said it could be due to the full circuit needing to be completed. With the wires unhooked, the main wire from the VTS (black and red/purple and I think another color), he was still able to get a read out. I am not the best at the electrical parts. My frustration level with this machine is past 10 and I think it is best to park it in the garage for a while.

+1
    put the signed title in the glove box, park it in your driveway, and PM me your address. i bet it vanishes overnight....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information