Thread: Pwc Buying

Pwc Buying

I dont know if this is the right forum in not if you can just point me in the right direction. I am looking into buying a new pwc and was wondering which skis are really good now. I also would go for a used 07,08 or 09. Also with the used ones can you tell me which models were really good those years. Thanks

Saving the Manuals every day.. TheBlueMartin's Avatar
    +1
    First you have to decide what you want to use it for. Do you want a something small you can throw around with ease, or a larger musclecraft with good top speed, or a three-seater that can tow and cruise??

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

This is the Polaris section, which is ironic since Polaris hasn't made a new PWC since 2004.

Which PWC is right for you would depend on a bunch of factors, including where and how you expect to ride, how many people will be on board, your budget, and how much performance you want/need.

The top brands in terms of market share are Sea-Doo, Yamaha, and Kawasaki, in roughly that order. Honda PWC are considered well built and reliable, but are not sold in large numbers.

Each brand has proponents, and the different models are often quite different. Some have excellent fuel economy, others have huge fuel appetites. Some are very fast on smooth water, but do not run well on rough water.

Spend some time reading in each forum, and you will get an idea of how the brands and models compare.

Keep in mid that many of the active members around here are interested in high performance, so that aspect often dominates the discussions.

You might find this interesting;
    I am thinking of buying a PWC. Any tips?

I am looking to buy a 2 or 3 seater that can tow and has a pretty fast speed. As far as price 7000-13000 or less. That link was really helpful. Thanks.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jbizub View Post
    I am looking to buy a 2 or 3 seater that can tow and has a pretty fast speed.

As far as price 7000-13000 or less...
    In many jurisdictions, the legal minimum PWC for towing is a three person model.

There must be room on the machine for the driver, the spotter, AND a seat for every person being towed. The idea is that if the towable sinks, every person can get on the PWC at the same time, and ride back to shore.

If you want to tow two people, then you would need a four person PWC. Interestingly, the 1999-2004 Polaris Genesis is the most compact and fun to ride of the four seater PWC - Polaris Genesis, Sea-Doo LRV, and Yamaha SUV. No four seat PWC is in current production.

Fast is a relative term. Just about any modern PWC can do 50mph, and many can reach 60mph, which is quite fast when riding on the water, especially if that water is not smooth.

The current top model PWC can all run 65mph, or a little faster, with very strong acceleration. Some PWC have reasonable fuel consumption, others are VERY thirsty. One top rated model can burn through an entire 20 gallon tankful in well under an hour, at full throttle.

Don't confuse top speed, or even horsepower, with the ability to tow a tube or water-skier. Even the base models these days can often do a satisfactory job of towing. 40mph when riding on a towable is flying, and often the preferred speeds are much lower.

Your budget has a 2:1 range. You may want to consider buying a pair of machines, possible different models of the same brand.

It can be a lot more fun to ride separate machines, than to ride sitting behind someone. Very different experience. Also gives you more flexibility to take others for rides.

And, if something should happen badly on the water, you will have another PWC right there to help, give a tow, or even go/call for help. These machines, even new ones with a warranty, can fail. When they do fail on the water, you want to have options.

If you are riding with others that are old enough, be sure to teach them the basics of machine operation. If you become injured or unable to operate the machine, you want others to already know the basics.

Also practice deep water boarding, of several people onto the one machine. It isn't as easy as it looks, even with the boarding step.

Keep in mind that you will need to buy a trailer. Don't go too cheap on the trailer. If the trailer goves you trouble, or is just poorly designed or made, it will take away from the enjoyment.

If at all possible - go take some different models for a test ride.

If the dealer won't let you go out with the new ski's, go to the Event and Rides section of this forum and look for some riders in your area.

Other considerations when looking at the ski's: some are better in flat water (lakes) while some designs shine in rough water (ocean). Also do you plan on customizing your ski or riding it stock? Some models have more flexability down the road than others.

Also building on K447's comments - fuel consumtion = range. Are you going for long rides or are you mostly buzzing around a lake and can stop and topp off easily? The fuel burners often offer better power and acceleration, it just comes with some strings attached...

I do have another ski so i can even tow with that. What is the fastest ski out there. Thanks for all of your help

Oh and it would be lake riding

Thread Information