Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

need some info on cars towing ski`s?

Guys, what smaller auto`s are you towing with?

I know a lot of you guys have trucks, SUV`s etc, but what kinds of small cars are you towing with?
    example: jetta, cobalt, altima, etc etc...?

I understand the towing capacity is smaller compared to my E250 van, but I can`t imagine any of todays 4 cyl cars not being able to pull 1000#...

I`m tossing around the idea of a more economical vehicle for longer, much longer commutes for work, unfortunately there is next to no new construction work where we live.
    The Van gets horrible mileage, I`m really not looking forward to spending 200-300 per week with tolls. as grim as the economy is, I may have to take a loss to get a gain in the future...sucks...

Banned User
    +1
    Most compact cars can tow 1000# with the proper hitch on them. Obviously the heavier the ski the sluggish the car, but still would be fine.

I picked up a little Sonoma pickup about 3 years ago, little 4cyl/auto, regular cab and bed...I've gotten about 21-22mpg average in 3 years, 2000# towing capacity with a reciever hitch. No issues towing around my ski on a single, with payload room for all my stuff. And since its just me, its a good commuter......Little turd paid for itself inside of 18 months with the gas prices at $3-4. I plan on replacing it with the same setup but extended cab...

Look into a little truck, they are very versatile. You'd be surprised how often you use the bed...

GTI SE 155
    Pale Rider.....I tow my '07 GTI on a premium Triton Elite with a VW Jetta GLI 6-spd. manual (4-cyl. turbo).......tows like it's not even there, even with 4 passengers. Yanks it right out of the water, even on a wet ramp. VW says it can tow up to 1,500 lbs, and I believe it. I've wondered if I could go tandem, but that would be a bit over 2k pounds, and in this heat here in Houston, I'd have concerns over over-heating, not to mention ruining the clutch.

BTW, I get around 23 MPG towing (hwy), 29 MPG without.

Quote Originally Posted by fastexas View Post
    Pale Rider.....I tow my '07 GTI on a premium Triton Elite with a VW Jetta GLI 6-spd. manual (4-cyl. turbo).......tows like it's not even there, even with 4 passengers. Yanks it right out of the water, even on a wet ramp. VW says it can tow up to 1,500 lbs, and I believe it. I've wondered if I could go tandem, but that would be a bit over 2k pounds, and in this heat here in Houston, I'd have concerns over over-heating, not to mention ruining the clutch.

BTW, I get around 23 MPG towing (hwy), 29 MPG without.
    man, I should have never gotten rid of my 06 GTI MK5 turbo.

my wifes Nissan Versa runs very well and I can`t imagine why it wouldn`t tow a ski... the warranty will be void if there is a hitch installed on the car...

something about legality and lawsuits if stupid people tow beyond the rated capacity etc etc... well doesn`t this apply to most tow vehicles... ya can`t fix stupid...

anyways, need to get a more fuel efficient vehicle someday... the van is a gas pig...

+1
    I tow my 94 seadoo spx with my 2002 kia spectra 5spd. It does fairly good at towing. More power would be nice usally get 28-29 when towing and 32-35 regular driving on the highway. It will do till I can afford a truck to tow with.

It's a JEEP thing...You wouldn't Understand dirtdude35's Avatar
    i tow my 95 750 slt about 530 plus 220 for the trailer with my 06 ford focus zx4 4 cylinder tows good. the car 105000 miles on it.

+1
    There's a post of a guy towing a double trailer with his mazda 3... I'm sure that's not good for the tranny!

+1
    Hauled my FXSHO with a Corolla and my 4 cyl Accord, hell I even hauled my SUV with these cars. Beach ramps can be interesting with front wheel drive, but good concrete ramps no problem. Tows the ski fine, especially in flat southern Florida.

+1
    I know this doesn't answer your question, but I towed my GPR with my 96 Vette for years. The guys at the ramp would laugh until they saw how easily I could pull up the ramp. There's something to be said for traction control and really wide tires.

32 Valves To Love! Racecar_Dave's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by fullboogie View Post
    my 96 Vette

Grand Sport?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information