How to clean Intercooler / Intake

Can anyone help, I rolled my 2004 MSX-150, and apparently the oil was overfilled so as I have learned on these awesome forums I more than likely ruined both my MAP and Boost sensors and oil was sent into my intake and intercooler. Does anyone know if there is a way to clean these without removing them? If not I think I can figure out the Intake, but what is the best way to remove the intercooler. Thank you all for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by rcsscraig View Post
    Can anyone help, I rolled my 2004 MSX-150, and apparently the oil was overfilled so as I have learned on these awesome forums I more than likely ruined both my MAP and Boost sensors and oil was sent into my intake and intercooler. Does anyone know if there is a way to clean these without removing them? If not I think I can figure out the Intake, but what is the best way to remove the intercooler. Thank you all for your help.
    I am pretty sure that I read that the preferred method is through the front...after shifting the gas tank forward. I will look for the instructions...I would have saved this.

I also read where one owner managed to clean his in place...by attaching a shop vac to the outlet, and introducing a solvent through the intake side. I cannot remember what solvent he used...but carb cleaner, or brake cleaner, might be the answer. Maybe someone here remembers this...!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky_Road View Post
    I am pretty sure that I read that the preferred method is through the front...after shifting the gas tank forward. I will look for the instructions...I would have saved this.

I also read where one owner managed to clean his in place...by attaching a shop vac to the outlet, and introducing a solvent through the intake side. I cannot remember what solvent he used...but carb cleaner, or brake cleaner, might be the answer. Maybe someone here remembers this...!
    I would like to here more about the shop vac trick and if you can get it all the way clean that way?

+1
    No need to move the fuel tank, it does take some patience though and carefull examination of the pictures for removal.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15435

Cheers

Shop Vac

Any updates on how to clean the intercooler without removing it using a ShopVac. I really want to avoid removing that beast at all costs.

Quote Originally Posted by rcsscraig View Post
    Any updates on how to clean the intercooler without removing it using a ShopVac. I really want to avoid removing that beast at all costs.
    I'm not dodging the question...I haven't found the post!

But...it seems to be logically simple. Remove the intake, and exit, hoses...adapt a shop vac to the exit flange...make up a soapy solution (probably dish lotion/water)...turn on the vac, and spray the soap mixture into the inlet pipe. Another option would be to rig up some hoses to both flanges...have them turned upwards, and higher than the intercooler...and fill the intercooler with a degreasing mixture. Let it soak for a while (I would trailer the ski for a distance, and let the solution get sloshed around)...and vacuum out the end product.

Just a couple of thoughts...can't hurt to try, before tearing the ski apart.

Happy boating!

+1

after

Ummmm, depending on the severity of the contamination, I really don't think a Shop-Vac will cut it. Get with Jay (4strokepolaristech) as he's done many of these. He's on vacation right now but checks in here regularly. Pictures courtesy of Jay.

Thread Information