Cylinder Head bolt leaking

I have a 2000 yamaha xlt1200 with 220 hrs. I have checked for leaks by leaving it on the trailer and found two bolts to be the suspect. I could tighten the one and has stopped the leak but the other one is as tight as I can get it without it breaking the head. What should I do??? Should I try to loosen it but how do I without breaking the head off??? And is there a rubber o-ring on these bolts?? Any advice or suggestions please help me out. Thanks for your time and help.

Baumer

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by baumer33 View Post
    I have a 2000 yamaha xlt1200 with 220 hrs. I have checked for leaks by leaving it on the trailer and found two bolts to be the suspect. I could tighten the one and has stopped the leak but the other one is as tight as I can get it without it breaking the head. What should I do??? Should I try to loosen it but how do I without breaking the head off??? And is there a rubber o-ring on these bolts?? Any advice or suggestions please help me out. Thanks for your time and help.

Baumer
    kinda impossible for the head bolt to leak... the threads dont go into a water jacket

probably the head cover gasket

+1
    I would start with a new head gasket.Problem is.....you have "over torqued" the head by running the bolts down beyond the torque specs. Might have the head deck checked and see if it is true.

So I basically am scrooged! A new head gasket would run me how much in labour and parts? I thought maybe I could remove the old bolt and use loctite on it to stop it from leaking?Its such a minor leak that it barely seaps out from the head of the bolt onto the middle plug when going full throttle. I guess I will live with it for now. Thanks for the input guys,.

Baumer

Quote Originally Posted by baumer33 View Post
    So I basically am scrooged! A new head gasket would run me how much in labour and parts? I thought maybe I could remove the old bolt and use loctite on it to stop it from leaking?Its such a minor leak that it barely seaps out from the head of the bolt onto the middle plug when going full throttle. I guess I will live with it for now. Thanks for the input guys,.

Baumer
    Do what kev(waterwoody) says. It just takes time and patients. First you need to go into the how section and download the service manual for torque settings. Then order a new head gasket. Wont hurt to order new bolts(sounds like you where tightening them without a torque wrench = stretched out bolts.

Start by disconnecting all the plug wires and take the plugs out. Disconnect the waterlines, then unscrew all the head bolts. Clean and dry the mating surfaces taking caution not to scratch the surfaces. Apply a thin coat of marine grease on the new head gasket. When I say a thin I mean thin(just to make the gasket look a bit wet). Place the head back on and torque downfollow the torque settings and sequence. Any question refer to the gh. We are here to help.

Dont just live with it fix it if it is leaking out it is probally leaking into your cylinder as well. Ron

I would fix the problem before it get's any worse, it may only be a small leak now but over time it could get worse and end up costing you twice as much to fix or more depending on how bad you let it get before you decide to fix it.

Thread Information