Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Hurricane Bill wave jumping

Basically, it seems like we will have decent waves all weekend as long as we can get out to some place with access to open water.

I think the CT river might be too sheltered so I'm thinking we should go just a bit further East. There's a public launch in Stonington
    (Google Maps Link) that will give us access to open waters and will also allow us to hide behind Fisher's Island if it gets too rough.
    It's exit 91 off I-95, but it's free and looks to have lots of parking.

Chart of the area: http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/13214.shtml

There's also an island out in the harbor there that looks like it could be used to set up camp and a grill

Right now, I plan to be out there both days this weekend... I need a buddy to come out on Sunday with those 13ft waves though

Current Forecasts

Eastern LI Sound Waters:
    Sat
    Se winds 10 to 15 kt. Seas 1 to 2 ft...building to 2 to 3 ft in the afternoon. A chance of showers and tstms.
    Sun
    NW winds around 15 kt...becoming W in the afternoon. Seas 3 to 5 ft. A chance of showers.

Western Rhode Island waters:
    Sat
    S winds 5 to 10 kt. Seas around 6 ft... building to 8 ft this afternoon. A chance of showers this afternoon.
    Sun
    N winds 10 to 15 kt with gusts up to 20 kt... becoming W this afternoon. Seas around 13 ft...subsiding to 11 ft this afternoon. A chance of showers and tstms.

I'll be with ya Sunday! Saturday it depends on how crazy I go tomorrow night!

Welcome to my neck of the woods.

That ramp is called Barn Island. Big ramp, but it gets crazy on nice weekends - not sure if the storm is going to scare off all the fishing boats?

Also watch the tides - at low tide the bay in front of that ramp is probably only 2 to 3 feet deep - take it slow and you will be ok - try going too fast with a bigger ski and you will be sucking up crap.

No fires allowed on the island - but you can beach there.

I hope to be out and about both days...just fixed my RXP (I think - I hope?)

Thanks for the info!

What would your suggestion be for food down there? Any marinas where we could tie up and get lunch?

What color is the RXP? I'll try to look out for you.

Glenn (Hipp) is talking about going out via Barn Island Sat morning with some other guys. John (JR4) took us around Stonington and Watch Hill 2 weeks back great day. Take his advice, good guy, knows the area well. I don't think I'll be going out with the RXT-X, I don't have alot of experience in big stuff and the thing tends to plow through waves instead of going over them.

Quote Originally Posted by gobbles2700 View Post
    Glenn (Hipp) is talking about going out via Barn Island Sat morning with some other guys. John (JR4) took us around Stonington and Watch Hill 2 weeks back great day. Take his advice, good guy, knows the area well. I don't think I'll be going out with the RXT-X, I don't have alot of experience in big stuff and the thing tends to plow through waves instead of going over them.
    Trim UP! You'll go over some waves. Just can't be afraid of the throttle. I will be on a RXT-X on Sunday, maybe Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by gobbles2700 View Post
    Thanks - but I think you are missing out if pass on this one...
    (I can stock some more cans on the seawall if that -x of yours gets hungry again )

As for services in the area
    - Watch Hill is right across from the launch. You can beach it on the back side of Napatree and walk short distance into the town - one resturant/ice cream shop next to the carosel. No good place for fuel. If you are doing this bring 2 anchors and know which way the tide is going - seen a lot of boats either bone dry when the tide went out or floating off because anchor lines were too short. The bay is shallow so the tide rises/falls fast. Also don't use the visitor dock by the main marina - small sign says 7hp limit (for dingy's) - heard they ticket ski's.
    - Stonington harbor proper has one dockside fuel pump (maybe 500 yards past the commercial fising pier.) Also has one resturant with a pier you can tie up to, but they are looking more for the 50' yachting type. Free tie up if you get lunch there - but bring your paycheck...
    - Still checking with the rest of the family on plans - might be able to set up a grub/gas spot for everyone at my place (on the water just outside the harbor)

Both my ski's are Black and Yellow.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JR4 View Post
    Thanks - but I think you are missing out if pass on this one...
    (I can stock some more cans on the seawall if that -x of yours gets hungry again )

As for services in the area
    - Watch Hill is right across from the launch. You can beach it on the back side of Napatree and walk short distance into the town - one resturant/ice cream shop next to the carosel. No good place for fuel. If you are doing this bring 2 anchors and know which way the tide is going - seen a lot of boats either bone dry when the tide went out or floating off because anchor lines were too short. The bay is shallow so the tide rises/falls fast. Also don't use the visitor dock by the main marina - small sign says 7hp limit (for dingy's) - heard they ticket ski's.
    - Stonington harbor proper has one dockside fuel pump (maybe 500 yards past the commercial fising pier.) Also has one resturant with a pier you can tie up to, but they are looking more for the 50' yachting type. Free tie up if you get lunch there - but bring your paycheck...
    - Still checking with the rest of the family on plans - might be able to set up a grub/gas spot for everyone at my place (on the water just outside the harbor)

Both my ski's are Black and Yellow.

Just FYI - Tides Stonington/Watch Hill area this Sat - Hi ~9:30 AM - Low ~4 PM

Awesome man, thanks for posting that up.

I can bring burgers and dogs to throw on the grill. And beer of course.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go hide in the garage and install my BOV before a blow up my supercharger clutch.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information