FZR Agility and Durability

Hi everyone,

I managed to tear up my faithful '97 GP1200 and am now in the market for a new ski...

I'm looking at the GP1300R's and FZR's. I already have a GP1200R so I am pretty familiar with the capabilities of that family (1300 included) and how to fix them, how they handle, and how much abuse they can take.

Since I'm shopping, I'm also looking at the new FZR's. Since apparently 4-stroke is the way of the future, and the FZR has an insane stock hole-shot, it's an interesting consideration.

My concern is its size, weight and complexity. The boat is about 1.5 feet longer than the GPR's and it weighs almost 200lbs more! Then you add in that a 4-stroke has a gazillion more moving parts than a two-stroke and I am concerned about how well the boat would handle and hold together.

I ride mostly in the ocean... specifically, in the breakers... where 8-10' waves are common and while the take-off's might be graceful, the landings aren't always so pretty. My 2-strokes... a '97 GP1200 and an '01 1200R have served me well. That little '97 had the living crap beat out of it for almost 12 years and I only replaced the engine once! Finally, as it's famous for, the hull broke at the engine mount... did I mention how sometimes the landings aren't so pretty?

I'm used to the 550-650lbs rockets that the GP-series represented. I can still get a 1300 at some pretty sweet prices, but... with any luck... the ski should last a few years and I'm just wondering if I should make the jump to a 4-stroke and if I did, would I be happy with such a big, heavy, complex machine.

Do any of you have any experience with the 4-stroke Yamaha's in general, or with the FZ series specifically, where your normal riding environment is a bit more on the rough... drop a ski in the water from 20' and hope for the best kind of riding? If so, I would be very interested in your feedback on how these ski's perform and how well they have held together.

Thanks to you all in advance,
    -Michael

+1
    Hi Micheal,

Welcome to Green Hulk.

Since no-one with far more wave riding experience than me have chimed in, all I can offer is this.

I haven't seen anyone complaining about engine mount / hull damage as yet (remember it's different to the tunnel splitting issues in fast rough water riding). That's not to say there has been.

I went thru some medium 4 metre stuff a few months ago on the Gold Coast and when it lands flat it slaps pretty hard but not as bad as my seadoo (different hull shapes I guess).

I currently have my SHO motor out of the ski and the mounts and thickness of the hull at that point (hammer hit/sound) look and sound strong but I have no more idea than that. I'll ask Gary W who has experience on both and see what he thinks later.

Hope this helps.

As for the mechanicals, no 2 stroke for me ever again. The 4 stroke yami motors are over engineered in terms of strenght and seem to be built to last (inside and out). Turn key and they run. BUT, get a gut full of water and you'll understand the term "Hydrolock" very quickly. It may pay for you to stay on familar territory of the 2 strokes if your paranoid about this. Depends which salesman your talking to at the time.

Dean

+1
    The 4 strokes are much more reliable vs a 2 stroke. I went from an xl800 to a fx ho and i remember it was always a pain to start, gotta turn the fuel line on, give it some choke, give her some gas, and pray. Now, just press a button and your good. I am no pro at this but you will for sure love the fzr! I dont beat my fzr but I aint easy on her either, I ride 90% ocean and im always chasing the next big wave! The hull has been very good so far, though, as with any new ski, there have been some ISOLATED issues in which case rider error is probably to blame.

The fzr is so nimble in the water and the holeshot is great. Only thing i recomend is a new grate considering you do off shore riding where good hookup is a must

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the replies.

What is "hydrolock"? Please tell me the 4-strokes can still be submerged, flipped-over, etc. without problems. I've dug my GPR in so deep, so many times that it had like 4" of water in the hull and it still ran just fine.

There have been times where I may come off a wave and... um... crash... and the ski be upside-down without a rider for a while and the GPR never gave me trouble as a result.

You know... you come off a 15' wave nose first and you might end up 5' under water!

If any of you have more info on this, please join in.

Thanks,
    Michael

+1
    Hydrolock (short for either hydraulic lock or hydrostatic lock) is a condition of an internal combustion engine in which an incompressible liquid has been introduced into its cylinder(s), resulting in the immobilization of the engine's pistons.

I have never fliped my fzr as they are decently hard to flip but i notice that when water does get in it is through the handle bars where most of us removed the foam from the side cowlings. If the ski was fliped this could be problematic. Ive had up to 2'' of water in my hull once (cleaning) and it was fine, bilge took it out in a few seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by mazy View Post
    Hydrolock (short for either hydraulic lock or hydrostatic lock) is a condition of an internal combustion engine in which an incompressible liquid has been introduced into its cylinder(s), resulting in the immobilization of the engine's pistons.

I have never fliped my fzr as they are decently hard to flip but i notice that when water does get in it is through the handle bars where most of us removed the foam from the side cowlings. If the ski was fliped this could be problematic. Ive had up to 2'' of water in my hull once (cleaning) and it was fine, bilge took it out in a few seconds.

I am shock that no Third party have made a product to replace the foam from the side cowling that still will give the benefit of a lot of air to flow though but water can not get in...

This is interesting. Does this mean that the 4-strokes cannot be flipped over safely without endangering the engine? Are they not protected like the 2-stokes in that you can flip them but when you right them you have to roll them in a specific direction (ie. clockwise vs. counterclockwise)?

I would be afraid to get any jetski that cannot be submerged without engine risk.

Please... more explanation/details around this would be very much appreciated.

Thanks again to you all.
    -Michael

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by msmcknight View Post
    This is interesting. Does this mean that the 4-strokes cannot be flipped over safely without endangering the engine? Are they not protected like the 2-stokes in that you can flip them but when you right them you have to roll them in a specific direction (ie. clockwise vs. counterclockwise)?

I would be afraid to get any jetski that cannot be submerged without engine risk.

Please... more explanation/details around this would be very much appreciated.

Thanks again to you all.
    -Michael
    Someone else can probably answer your questions better than I but i'll take a stab at it.... if the ski is flipped you turn it clockwise so no water is going in through the exhaust. I would say when you flip any ski you run the risk of damaging the engine but the risk seems to be greater on a 4stroke vs a 2stroke.

If the ski is only flipped for a short amount of time i would say you are fine but any prolonged submerging would not be any good.

The FZR are not flip so easy even in a big jump. I have seeing ppl here in South Beach in Miami,FL jumping the waves big time and the ski stay up side up. I am not saying it can not be done if you really want to but it will be hard to do...

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    You run the same amout of risk on a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke that has been flipped............

Thread Information