Washer configureation

I have noticed some of you guys place the spingwashers in a different way to get the best slip from from the clutch washers.Is this a safe practice,any does or donts,and what patterns work the best....thanks

+1
    Mark,

With the bigger Scers like the 3 rude and the Et 70/145 they are playing with setting up the washers like this: )))()..depending on what Scer you are running the McMaster Carr Washers are the way to go...They pretty much hold their tention on the smaller Scers from the X chargers on down..With the Et 140s and 2 Rudes they need to be checked after 10 hours and reset..Once reset it seem like they hold their slip pretty well..And thats running them the OEM way: )()()..I just got done checking a ET 70/145 scer with the washers set up like this )))() and the slip was well over 325 inch LBS.we couldnt get an accurate number seeing the shaft was locked...

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    what configuration do you recommend for a stock sc with mcmaster washers? also, have you tried the other washers that MCM sells? some are thicker and thinner with different rates.

+1
    With a stock Scer i would go with the OEM setup..)()()..BUT 5 McMaster Carr washers will create to high of a slip for a stock Scer..What i have done in the past with stock Scers and McMaster Carr washers was mix and match the OEM ones with the New MMC washers..You can achieve the needed slip by doing that with no issues..

+1
    I have all three materials that McMaster sell for that size. The SS one are perfect for the higher slip and the CV washers are the same as the stockers. So you can mix and match. The three different materials have different load range and thicknesses. You can also get Belvilles from www.leespring.com They have a nice load range chart.

When your compression spring application requires a high load in a small space, Lee Spring’s Belleville Washers can be the solution. Their conical configuration enables them to support high loads with relatively small deflections and solid heights compared to helical springs. Belleville Washer are often used to solve vibration, thermal expansion, relaxation and bolt creep problems. Lee Spring Belleville Washers are manufactured from 300 Series Stainless Steel. This alloy offers good corrosion resistance for most applications. Additionally, Lee Spring Washers are passivated in accordance with specification ASTM A967 (supercedes QQ-P-35) to remove contaminants and further improve resistance to corrosion. 300 Series Stainless Steel is slightly magnetic and is recommended for any applications where the temperature is below 500° F
    (260° C).

Additional load flexibility can be achieved by stacking Belleville Washers in various configurations. As shown in the diagrams below, Belleville Washers can be used in four different ways:

Single: One washer
    Parallel: All washers stacked the same way
    Series: All washers stacked opposite each other
    Series-Parallel: A combination of the two

A single Belleville Spring Washer has a specific load for a given deflection. Two washers stacked in parallel will yield double the load of a single washer for the same deflection;three washers will yield triple the load; four washers will yield four times the load, etc. Alternatively, two washers stacked in series will yield double the deflection of a single washer for the same load; three washers will yield triple the deflection; four washers will yield four times the deflection, etc.Various series-parallel combinations therefore can provide a wide variety of combined results of load versus deflection for the stack. Consequently, depending upon the application, the designer can:
    • Stack in "parallel" to increase load
    • Stack in "series" to increase deflection
    • Adjust the load and deflection of a washer stack by adding or removing individual
    washers and/or the sequence in which they are used, whether in series or parallel.

+1
    That is great info -

Thanks

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    Mark,

With the bigger Scers like the 3 rude and the Et 70/145 they are playing with setting up the washers like this: )))()..depending on what Scer you are running the McMaster Carr Washers are the way to go...They pretty much hold their tention on the smaller Scers from the X chargers on down..With the Et 140s and 2 Rudes they need to be checked after 10 hours and reset..Once reset it seem like they hold their slip pretty well..And thats running them the OEM way: )()()..I just got done checking a ET 70/145 scer with the washers set up like this )))() and the slip was well over 325 inch LBS.we couldnt get an accurate number seeing the shaft was locked...
    THANKS COOL ONE,im just trying to get my RUDE1 to last a little longer before i have to pull and check my slip.Am i right in saying then....mac washers set up the oem way would be better for me ,rather than the stock oem washers set up.

beerdart....excellent info,never cease to amaze with your info,thanks

Thread Information