Master of the Dooniverse

Ride Pltae/ Pump Problem with SLX

I have a '96 SLX 785 that the ride plate, along with the pump shoe keep dropping down. the front two inserts for the plate somehow got broken, i assume from the owner wailing on it.

put it all back together, cleaned up, sealed and looking tight and now it's back with the same thing. it seems like the rideplate is just too flimsy to hold the whole assembly up, and no matter whether is used loctite the screws back out or possibly stretch a bit cuz they are all a touch loose.

is this or any other SLX ride control issue common and what might be done? I was thinking and aftermarket plate might be thicker, but i think no matter what that 1/4-20s aren't stout enough for the job.

+1
    1/4 20? Those should be metric bolts

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    I assume you mean 96 SLX 780, the 785 is a PRO and wasn't made until 97.

Your problem is the first I've ever heard of.

The ride plate doesn't hold anything up. It shouldn't even contact the jet pump at all.

If you're having issues with the inserts slipping down, then maybe consider using a nut and washer through the hull. Make sure to seal them with a bit of silicone.

Seaobin, they are 1/4-20 SS nuts to bolt up the ride plate and intake grate.

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wayniac View Post
    I have a '96 SLX 785 that the ride plate, along with the pump shoe keep dropping down. the front two inserts for the plate somehow got broken, i assume from the owner wailing on it.

put it all back together, cleaned up, sealed and looking tight and now it's back with the same thing. it seems like the rideplate is just too flimsy to hold the whole assembly up, and no matter whether is used loctite the screws back out or possibly stretch a bit cuz they are all a touch loose.

is this or any other SLX ride control issue common and what might be done? I was thinking and aftermarket plate might be thicker, but i think no matter what that 1/4-20s aren't stout enough for the job.
    The ride plate is not there to hold the assembly up. It should NOT even be in contact with the pump. Is the pump mounted correctly to the back of your hull or are there issues there?

Master of the Dooniverse
    No, you guys are right, but the rideplate helps hold the pump shoe up and the pump dangles off that to some extent or at tleast exerts some forces on it. Anyhow, i got it fixed, the pump shoe was broken in half at the middle. The screws sure looked like english to me. i replaced all inserts and screws with new anyhow, the owner got them from Polaris directly, some were bent/stretched/etc. The Sea-Doo X4 design was alot better, one piece shoe and plate much more robust.

Yeah it was 780, not 785, my bad.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1

shoe

your the first guy i've ever heard with a broke polaris shoe.the bolts are 1/4 20.had to buy s/s allen bolts for the op virage plate

Master of the Dooniverse
    Yeah, I wouldn't have thought it would be an easy part to break. BEST part is the owner is a wild ass chick!!!

Thread Information