Thread: 99 xl1200 ltd

99 xl1200 ltd

Warmed it up for a few minutes at the dock last weekend. Rode about 1/4 mile and turned around to come back and it died. tried to restart and it turned over twice kind of hard and then nothing. Got it back and on the trailer 1/2 hour later and pulled the plugs. Rear plug was dry and looked a little rusty. Dumped a little oil down all 3 cylinders and tried to start but nothing. 'Start' would come up on the display but no click or anything. dropped the grate and turned it over with a pipe wrench. pretty tough at first but eventually it got better. Pulled the elec. box apart and crossed the starter relay and it turns over fine. Compression check shows 135 on all 3 cylinders. took the exhaust off to look for a disconnected oil line and found nothing. Ordered a new starter relay but I'm suspiciouos about the oil. there was oil in the bottom but it could be from spillage when I poured it into the cylinders. How can I test to make sure it's not oil starved? I know premix would eliminate this issue but it's not an option right now.

Rear plug was rusty on the threads that go inside the head or the part that is outside the head, since the compression is good I would check it twice 135 is high might just be your gauge i got 120 on my stock ski How long since your carbs were rebuilt stock carbs run the ski lean especially at midrange cruising speed. oil in the bottom is probally mixed with water and oil is on top making it look like more than it is, you pulled the stinger off to check the oil lines #3 is the one that falls off the most when we pulled my exhaust out it was just laying there not hooked up you must pull the exhaust or you can not see the line that is off it sounds like carb problems since you said compression is good, you must follow the lines to the front of the motor and make sure they are all hooked to the pump it is at the front of the engine it is very hard to see with the exhaust on you will have to pull the stinger off for sure, the oil block off plate is 16 dollars if you want to be sure my guess is you seized #3 piston and cylinder is scored making it hard to turn over as you said hope I am wrong. Ron

the plug looked rusty around the electrode. threads were good as they were only a week old. we rebuilt the top 65 hours ago with Weiscos, D-plate, and carbs freshened up. In looking again, it looks as though the middle carb has excess oil around where the line goes in. If I pull them all off and cycle the starter if should pump oil correct?

I did pull all the exhaust and airbox to get a look at the oil pump. Everything looks good. I'm also buying some new line and Oetiker clamps and replumbing the oil just to make sure I have no issues down the road.

I'll update tonight on the compression. Any thoughts on the oil pump?

99 xl 1200

Retested all 3 cylinders..#1 135, #2 130, #3 130.

ran new oil lines and while doing so found that the line going from the pump to the "T" in the breather line was off. The pump would not pump with it disconnected but does when it is. I think I found my problem and may have dodged a bullet this time. The starter relay arrived today so I plan on reassempling the box and thought I'd pull the PV covers to ensure the wave eaters are good then putting the exhaust back on and hose test if everything good. Am I missing anything??

Update...lost the power valve on #1. Rings and piston look good and it has better compression than the other 2....what would you do???

Never mind....pulled the head and only the PV stem was still there on #2 and the cylinder is pretty scored...looks like a new top end...the season is officially over for this one.

Thread Information