+1

92 Yama LX500 won't start, taking on water.

Hey guys my friend has a 92 Yama LX500 always ran great for him. This season put it in the water, started up , and shut off. Now he said its taking on water and won't start. It turns over, but won't catch almost like its not getting gas. Would you guys recommend opening up the carbs and check to see if the lines are clogged? Never worked on one of these skis let me know if anyone could help.

+1
    ::Bump:: anyone? please

replys
    Quote Originally Posted by ryffryda View Post
    Hey guys my friend has a 92 Yama LX500 wr500 or an xl 650?always ran great for him. This season put it in the water, started up , and shut off.spark or fuel.. spray with seafoam if fuel down carb, check for spark at the wire with a good plug grounded out...could even be a bad start switch or a connection to it.. Now he said its taking on water water at the cylinder like a blown gasket ???or is it comming externaly like a water jacket?and won't start. It turns over, but won't catch almost like its not getting gas. Would you guys recommend opening up the carbs and check to see if the lines are clogged? trace the fuel lines and verify flow... id give it a sea foam shot and see what happensNever worked on one of these skis let me know if anyone could help.

+1
    1992 WR650Q. Checked it today, not the carbs. No spark out of either cap. Checked wiring, had a blown fuse, replaced that. Still no spark. Used a voltage meter through the wiring, everything seemed to be working. The water is filling up in the hull as well. I also just replaced the ignition coil assembly since I thought that was the problem, but wasn't. I have a feeling my CDI unit is fried checked out the price for one they are around 300. Anyone know what else I could check to fix the spark.

could be your pickups.. more than the cdi... there are ohm tests for these ..

water leaks ...put it up on the trailer and slowly add about 3 inches of water.. look for your leak, other wise you have a leak somewhere in your cooling or exhaust system that is pumping water into the hull
    Last edited by w/rpm500; 08-26-2009 at 12:23 PM. Reason: inserted stator by mistake

+1
    Hey what are the stator pickups? Not the most mechanically inclined person lol

the pickups are in the engine cover beside the flywheel they signal the cdi where the engine is at in rotation and then the cdi uses this info to fire the coils,, there are also charging pickups in that same asmembly..

Thread Information