Question What to look for when buying? Need help.

I am going to look at a pair of 2005 RXT's tomorrow each with less then 40 hours. Where they are located there is there is no lake near by so I have no way of test riding them. They are described as excellent condition with regular maintenance and winterized every year. They are the original owners also. Since I can not test ride them what other things should I do to see if they are OK. Thanks for the help

Ask if they upgraded the Super Charger washers yet?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JR4 View Post
    +1 and I would want to see maintainance receipts. Maye even call the dealer to see what they know about them.

They have not had the washers upgraded in the superchargers, I plan on having it done if I purchase then. They have all of the maintenance records and original paper work from when they purchased them new. Should I start them on the trailer? Anything else to visually check? Thanks

You can/should fire them up - just hook them up to a hose and keep it under 5 minutes.

Remenber Start ski - turn on water --> turn off water - turn off ski.

Maybe bring a flashilight to look at the impeller.

Also the pump area should have two zinc annodes - they give a good indication on how much time the ski might have been in salt water and how well it was cleaned after use.

Is there a direct hook up for the hose or do I need some type of adapter? Should I just let it idle or should I rev it up a little? They said it has never been in salt water so hopefully it has not.

You can/should fire them up - just hook them up to a hose and keep it under 5 minutes.

Remenber Start ski - turn on water --> turn off water - turn off ski.

Maybe bring a flashilight to look at the impeller.

Also the pump area should have two zinc annodes - they give a good indication on how much time the ski might have been in salt water and how well it was cleaned after use.

The ski has a fixed female hose thread on the back, but it is a real pain to hook the hose to it directly (end up spinning 50' of garden hose) - much easier with any hose quick connect kit so you can thread one end into the ski, the other onto the hose and then hook it up...

Easy way to know if they actually flushed the ski's after each ride - if they did they will have an adapter handy...

You can rev it a bit, but just don't hold it wide open...just as an FYI the impeller/drive shaft does sound raspy out of the water.

+1
    Without a warranty, to purchase them without a lake test at full speed would be unwise. You have been warned. If the ceramic washers are gone or have been improperly replaced you could be looking at thousands in repairs. You can only tell so much from running that ski on a hose, they always rattle and sound horrible on a hose anyway... you need to get them both out on the water. Read this:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19887

I know that it is not a good idea, but there is no lake with 200 miles of were they are located. I did put in the bill of sale the following statement:

"Due to not being able to test each Seadoo on a lake, it is being sold with a guarantee that there is no engine damage, supercharger damage or other related problems and to be in excellent working condition."

Thread Information