Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hope this never happens to anyone else....

I got bad news today. 2004 MSX 150 (74hours) needs new engine. Mechanic says engine seized and needs a new bottom end. A "rod " was what he said. While they were moving it into the shop, he said oil rushed out of the back, Although I didn't get exactly from where. Price to fix was anywhere from 1-2K depending how cheap he could get replacement parts. The ski stopped dead in the middle of the lake last week. (I towed it correctly) Mechanic (16yrs. experience) said ski may have sucked something in (rock) or lack of oil were probable cause of failure. I did check oil prior to ride that day and it was okay and I never beached it. I was wondering if anyone was willing to give some feedback regarding selling it as-is, fixing it, or all other possibilities etc. Either way I dont have that kind of cash to fix it....I bought it 3 weeks ago and only rode it once for 15 minutes at 20-30mph before it died! I want to talk to they guy I bought it from, but he's not answering his phone. Is it possible he knew about prior issues? Thanks.

I live in Southern California. Thanks guys.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Doesn't sound good at all.

That $1K to $2K price estimate sounds low, to be honest.

Is this mechanic familiar with the Weber engine, and the MSX 150?

My understanding is that it takes several hours of labor just to get the engine out, and another several hours to put it back. Weber engine parts also tend to be expensive.

I suggest you call Randy at Watcon, and review your options. It may make more sense to have the engine pulled, and shipped to a Weber engine expert for repair.

Another Weber expert on GreenHulk is 4strokepolaristech (Jay).

At the same time, you can discuss possible upgrades. There have been a number of improvements to the Weber engines since these 2004 versions were produced.

Let us know what you find out, and what you decide to do.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by angelsfann02 View Post
    I got bad news today. 2004 MSX 150 (74hours) needs new engine. Mechanic says engine seized and needs a new bottom end. A "rod " was what he said. While they were moving it into the shop, he said oil rushed out of the back, Although I didn't get exactly from where. Price to fix was anywhere from 1-2K depending how cheap he could get replacement parts. The ski stopped dead in the middle of the lake last week. (I towed it correctly) Mechanic (16yrs. experience) said ski may have sucked something in (rock) or lack of oil were probable cause of failure. I did check oil prior to ride that day and it was okay and I never beached it. I was wondering if anyone was willing to give some feedback regarding selling it as-is, fixing it, or all other possibilities etc. Either way I dont have that kind of cash to fix it....I bought it 3 weeks ago and only rode it once for 15 minutes at 20-30mph before it died! I want to talk to they guy I bought it from, but he's not answering his phone. Is it possible he knew about prior issues? Thanks.
    He is way off on his $1-2K to fix the ski. That is probably his labor rate. Trust me it takes a long time to get that engine back in that ski and you have to do it in stages. Long block then put back in the intercooler, turbo, intake etc.

I'm probably gonna try and sell it. All this seems too much.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by angelsfann02 View Post
    I'm probably gonna try and sell it. All this seems too much.
    I agree...You could use the 2k to put a nice down payment on a new one. Besides that,from what I have read on hear an what my dealer tells me the weber's are a living nightmare. Sell it an get something new or better.

Engine is 2500 rebuilt. Labor from a dealer starts at 1000 but most of the time ends up 1500. That dosent include clamps, oil etc. Not real sure how your mechanic decided it needed a rod by oil coming from the rear of the boat. Could be a blown turbo passing oil through the airbox, oil line leaking etc. . But without looking am not sure.
    Did you hear alot of noise then the ski stopped running, would it start or turnover etc.
    yes the maint. is extremely high on the 04 weber.. Most people love them. But do drop a coin or two while having fun.. Sorry to hear of your misfortune..

Oh!! I have seen several of these seize if in salt water due to the wear ring swelling. But if oil is everywhere then obviously we have to assume your grease monkey knows his mo-jo.

I may decide to seek a second opinion, but I believe my mechanic knows his stuff. When you try and start it, you can hear the fuel pump priming, but thats it. No other sound period. No cranking from the starter or engine etc. Does this sound consistent with my problem? The mechanic said the "bottom end" needed fixing- something about a rod. He was looking into a rebuilt part but I told him to call off the search as it was too much money for me. I'm going to the original sellers house (ski in tow) on thursday because my mechanic says there may be a chance the seller knew about an issue prior to selling me the ski. I mean riding a ski for 10 minutes @ 20-25 mph and having an engine blow is rare, unless there was an existing problem. I checked all the vital fluids and other pre-ride checklist items that day. Did I mention I only bought it for $2700? Should that have been the first red flag? Help me build a case against him guys!!!!!

Also forgot to mention mechanic tried to turn it over manually, but said it wouldn't budge.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information