Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Oil injection vs. Premix

I see a lot of you guys removing your oil pumps and going to premix. What are the advantages of doing this? Are stock pumps or oil injection systems failing? Educate me! Thanks guys.

Going to premix guarantee's your getting oil. It also allows you to get more control over your oil ratio and fine tuning the fuel ratio if needed by adjusting the amount of oil. I still run injection as its easier on the lake if I need fuel.

What ski are you doing this or thinking about this for? That helps us too.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    it also depends on what your dock/ramp look like. In my area the ramp area is a 1/16 mile up hill at a 5% grade to get to my truck to get my gas can. which also means that i cant travel as far as I normally could on my machine that has oil injection. Im not sure that you can mix at the gas pump after you pump the gas and dump in the amount of oil needed for the gallons added. doesnt seem like it would mix too well

Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    it also depends on what your dock/ramp look like. In my area the ramp area is a 1/16 mile up hill at a 5% grade to get to my truck to get my gas can. which also means that i cant travel as far as I normally could on my machine that has oil injection. Im not sure that you can mix at the gas pump after you pump the gas and dump in the amount of oil needed for the gallons added. doesnt seem like it would mix too well
    A friend of mine use to do this all the time. He would carry oil and dump the oil in first to help mix it up. Never had a problem. I wouldn't care to do this but he did ok. I still prefer the injection.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    I have both, one premix and the other with injection and still prefer injection...the azz clowns that said that they were going to build me a custom oil cable for my conversion ski in three weeks still hasnt materialized after 4 months

My only interest in premix is reliability. I see people blocking off oil pumps and converting to premix, and I wonder why. I just dumped a bunch of money into fixing this thing, and the last thing I want is to seize my engine or have something stupid happen. It's a 96 GSX with a 787, and based on the number of threads in this forum and that other forum on 96-97 GSX's, they seem to be extremely problematic. I would MUCH rather keep separate tanks for gas and oil and fill them when needed, I think mixing it myself is a pain in the ass.

Well with the 787 you still need to run the stock oil tank to lube the rotary valve. You mine as well keep the injection. Just inspect the fitting real good that spins the oil pump on the flywheel nut. No cracks and you should be good to go. My friend has a 96 GTX with 180 original hours and runs the stock injection. Never been inside to check it out.

Former 2 stroke hater!
    I personally prefer premix, just makes me feel more secure. If I forget to put the oil in the gas (fat chance) then I am to blame, not some cheap plastic drive nut/shaft and lines. I removed my oil tank on my ski and looped the rotary valve line together joining at a "T" and that runs to a VW mastercylinder reservoir for oiling the valve (just for looks, less clutter), but if you do remove your oil tank you will have to take up the slack in the fuel tank straps.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    The 800 engines have a reliable oil pump system. The lines between the pump should be changed, if they never have, as age can cause one to split. If the engine has a few hundred hours it may be good insurance to replace the pump as preventative. The oil filter should be changed every couple years too.

Most people go to premix when installing a pipe and really modding their ski, it's just insurance when you are running on the edge. For rec use I'd keep the pump.

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    The 800 engines have a reliable oil pump system. The lines betwen the pump should be changed, if they never have, as age can cause one to split. If the engine has a few hundred hours it may be good insurance to replace the pump as preventative. The oil filter should be changed every couple years too.
    Excellent point. Most don't even think about it. I have done my filter every year just to be safe. I will have to do my lines though, never thought about it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information