Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

GP1200R Newbie With Carb Issue

Hey everybody, I'm a newbie in the PWC world. Just bought a 2000 GP1200R from my Uncle. To give some background, it had a nasty bogging problem last year that we believed was fuel derived, so we did a basic carb rebuild thinking that was the solution. We found a gunked up filter inside one of the carbs and we believe that was the smoking gun. While we were at it, I removed the cat and put a R&D D-plate in it.

Upon testing it out for the first time after this was all done, it ran great at idle, but it still had a bog to it, but this time it was only at the low end. If I feathered the throttle, I could get past it, and once I hit 5000 RPM on the stock tach, it felt like it did before all my problems began last summer.

My inclination is that the removal of the cat has eased some back pressure causing less fuel to get pushed through the lines at low RPM. I tried to give it some choke and at one point a certain amount seemed to make it better, so I'm thinking running too lean low end wise. I've heard that these skis have high/low speed adjuster screws that control how much fuel gets into the carbs, but I couldn't find any when I took the carbs apart. A friend of mine told me they're there and I have to replace them with T-handles.

I was wondering if anybody had done a cat removal as an only mod with one of these ski's and noticed a similar bog occur afterwards. I know the carbs have to get pulled off again to fix this, but I have no clue how much I'm supposed to turn the low speed adjustment screw to fix this problem. Do I do that to all cylinders? Any ideas?

Thanks.

+1
    When you did the carb rebuild, did you check popoff pressure? If not, you didn't do the carbs correctly.

Did you check proper PV operation?

If the answer is "no" to either one, use the search button and read up on it.

Quote Originally Posted by fullboogie View Post
    When you did the carb rebuild, did you check popoff pressure? If not, you didn't do the carbs correctly.

Did you check proper PV operation?

If the answer is "no" to either one, use the search button and read up on it.
    Nope and I don't think so, but the previous owner may have checked the PV's. Like I said, it was a basic rebuild. You know, just gaskets, the diaphram, a screw, a filter, all that little stuff that comes in a typical basic rebuild kit. I didn't think it required anything more since I wasn't really altering anything on the engine. I wouldn't even know where to begin with a popoff pressure test and taking it to a dealer/shop is out of the question.

+1
    Adjusters are hidden under the tamper evident caps, here is a link on removing the caps http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=94630

+1
    Dug - what I am trying to tell you is that you are supposed to check popoff no matter what. The rebuild kits come with popoff springs, and they are often the wrong ones or give the wrong popoff pressure. If you don't check it, you may end up where you're at now.

I just redid my carbs a few months ago. When I checked popoff it was way off on two carbs.

If you don't know how to check it and are unwilling to have someone else do it, use the "search" button and learn how.

Quote Originally Posted by LessThanDug View Post
    Nope and I don't think so, but the previous owner may have checked the PV's. Like I said, it was a basic rebuild. You know, just gaskets, the diaphram, a screw, a filter, all that little stuff that comes in a typical basic rebuild kit. I didn't think it required anything more since I wasn't really altering anything on the engine. I wouldn't even know where to begin with a popoff pressure test and taking it to a dealer/shop is out of the question.

Thanks guys. You especially Bill. That was what I was looking for mainly. A friend of mine knows a lot of people who work on skis, so I think I might just meet up with one of them when I get a chance and when I get a job so I can buy all the things I need.

I remember the springs were exactly the same as the ones already in the carbs, but when I pull them apart I'll do that test. This will be the last carb ski I'll ever own. Too much crap to deal with when things go wrong.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by fullboogie View Post
    Dug - what I am trying to tell you is that you are supposed to check popoff no matter what. The rebuild kits come with popoff springs, and they are often the wrong ones or give the wrong popoff pressure. If you don't check it, you may end up where you're at now.
    WHy would a company wanna be kind enough to send you the right parts so you can get your ski back on the water with no issues??

I've ridden Doug's GPR. The ski has 124 hours and this was the first carb rebuild. When he did rebuild the carbs he did find the usual sand in the screens and that was all cleaned out along with the rest of the rebuild. I haven't gotten a chance to take a good look at the PV's on the ski yet, but he will be getting Wave eater clips soon. If by what your saying about the springs being wrong that should be the first thing he should check.

+1
    The springs are likely the "right" springs, but that doesn't mean they will give you the proper popoff. Usually you have to stretch them or cut off sections of a coil in order to get it right. It's just the nature of the beast.

Hey guys, so here's what I did. I went back, ripped the exhaust out, switched the R&D D-plate for the stock cat, put it back in and did a test run. Guess what?? IT WORKED PERFECT!!!

So, now that I know the D-plate has screwed up something, I'm really ticked off right now at R&D. They said nothing in the installation instructions about having to adjust anything to make the watercraft perform properly. Who does that?? Not one disclaimer. Idiots over there. So I gotta buy those darn T-handles and adjust the lows to give it more fuel since I'm willing to bet that is where the problem lies. This is going to be a fun winter project.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by LessThanDug View Post
    Hey guys, so here's what I did. I went back, ripped the exhaust out, switched the R&D D-plate for the stock cat, put it back in and did a test run. Guess what?? IT WORKED PERFECT!!!

So, now that I know the D-plate has screwed up something, I'm really ticked off right now at R&D. They said nothing in the installation instructions about having to adjust anything to make the watercraft perform properly. Who does that?? Not one disclaimer. Idiots over there. So I gotta buy those darn T-handles and adjust the lows to give it more fuel since I'm willing to bet that is where the problem lies. This is going to be a fun winter project.

.............................maybe if you just buy the T-handles for a whole $13 now, we can solve this issue and tune the carbs correctly before the season is over. Instead of trying to blaming R&D. I'll go ahead and blame RIVA for a d-plate that cause my bog too

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information