+1

Possible carb problem

Hi,

I just purchased a 97 wave venture 1100. My wife rode it first and didn't have any problems (not sure if she didn't have the problem or if she never did what I did to produce the problem).

I got on after her riding it for 1/2 hour and was playing. I noticed though that on a fairly regular basis, if I had it at WOT and would let off all the way and before it stopped, I punched it again, nothing would happen (no throttle response). I had to pull the choke lever out an push it back in and then everything worked great.

I don't know the history of the carbs so I'm thinking a rebuild is in order. Is this fairly easy to do for an inexperienced fairly mechanically minded individual?? Do you think the carbs are the problem or is it something different?

Thanks,

Mike

+1
    So, I guess my main questions are a) Do you think the carbs are the problem??? and b)is how do you know when carbs just need to be gone through and cleaned and when do they need to be rebuilt?

+1
    There are a couple things that could contribute, but carbs are probably the culprit. Do you have an inline fuel filter? check it, this should be changed every season. The carbs should be gone through every three to four years as a general maintenance guideline. look in the how to section there are threads on how to rebuild carbs.

+1
    Good information. So as far as the fuel filter, is there a specific one I need to get for the 1100 or just a generic fuel filter? I can't seem to find one online specific for that machine. Also, is there specific type of zip tie I need to purchase to attach the new filter?

Edit: Ok, so I found the filter online. Looks like it's about $18 or so. So, is it possible to take these apart and clean them or is it just replaceable...

Next question. Is there a fuel/water separator on this machine? I can't seem to find one.

Thanks again for the help.

Mike

Thread Information