+1

Fair Price for a '96 SLT780?

I really had no intentions of selling the Aqua Couch (1996 SLT 780) , but today a buddy told me one of his coworkers has decided to buy a ski and it HAS to be a Polaris. So, I'm thinking this might be a chance to sell the old gal and upgrade the armada over the winter. The only bummer is I just got her running great

So, what would be a fair price to ask for the boat? Cosmetically it's a little chipped here and there, but the hull is solid. I have a single Karavan trailer with bearing buddies, new coupler, and new wiring. The ski got a new top end last year and is running great. Also I have a ski pylon for tubes and skiers.

NADA says $965 with the trailer and Kelley Blue Book says $1625. Part of me says just keep it, since it's paid for but the other part says sell it when you have a hungry buyer and then shop for a replacement over the winter.

So guys, what are your thoughts?

Thanks,
    KJ

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    NADA can shove it up it's back cover!!!

Kelley sounds pretty close to what it should go for. Maybe a tad low???

Like you said, I like stuff that's paid for. New ski would be nice too, as long as it doesn't come with payments.

See what you'd be getting will cost, and what you think you'll get for the SLT.

If you want a $4k ski and get $1800 for the SLT, not a good deal IMO... Unless it's something phenominal like a PRO, a Matrix, or something of the like.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Don't undersell that ski,it is in great shape. Better then 90% of the ones out there.

+1
    Considering what the ski is worth to me, my first thought was to tell the guy $2,000 firm. If he bites, well good for me I've just recovered some long lost cash. If he doesn't bite, well good for me again because I get to keep the 'ol Aqua Couch.

The wife and I mulled it over last night and I think she'd rather keep the ski since the loan has a $0.00 balance . She's the real penny pincher in the family

I'm a little torn too because I know that I can personally fix anything that goes wrong with the ski. Not that I couldn't learn the mechanics of a newer ski, but I already know this one inside and out. But there's also the issue of parts availability How much longer will I still be able to get replacement parts for the engine and pump? That's a big unknown there.

Another buddy pointed me toward a couple of skis that I could buy ultra-cheap (relatively). His BIL bought 2 ski's new in '03 ('03 SeaPoo XP-DI and '03 Yammie GPR1300) on a 2 place trailer. His kids put very few hours on them and now he wants to dump them and be done. The skis book at about $4700 and the trailer is probably worth about $700. I can get the two of them, on the trailer with storage box for $6,000. Overall that's a good deal (although neither is a Polaris ) but even if I got $2K for my ski I'd still have to cough up $4K.

Uggghhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    I say don't worry about parts yet. Alot of guys are getting rid of there Polaris now, so parts are plentiful now and for a bit to come.

+1
    Pumps consist of bearing(which will be forever),Stators(lots),Engine parts(I can buy stuff for a '45 Flat head Harley still), So it will be around for a long time.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonmtz View Post
    ...BIL bought 2 ski's new in '03 ('03 SeaPoo XP-DI and '03 Yammie GPR1300) on a 2 place trailer.

His kids put very few hours on them and now he wants to dump them and be done...
    I don't know a whole lot about either model, but my understanding (which could be incorrect) is that the Yamaha engine should be reliable, but they like to drink fuel.
    Is that a carb'ed or fuel injected Yamaha motor?

The fuel injected 2-stroke Sea-Doo DI models seem to have a reputation for expensive-to-repair problems, but owners seem to like them, when they are actually running.

Sometimes 2-strokes with very few hours have problems because of the infrequent use. If they sat for months between rides, the engine internals could have developed rusty spots from not being fogged after each use.

As others have said, engine parts for the Fuji motors will be available for a long time. Those Fuji 2-stroke 'Robin' engines were used in lots of applications other than watercraft.

Jet pump parts are also widely available, and parts are interchangeable from 1994 through 2004 models. Used parts from 'retired' parted out machines will continue to be available for quite a while.

If you just want to end up with two reliable skis on a trailer, finding a double trailer and a second Polaris ski to go on it might be much cheaper than starting over with two completely different machines.

If you want to maintain them yourself, it is a lot more homework to delve into two different brands of PWC, than to add another Polaris to your fleet.

Even the domestic Polaris have a fair amount in common with your Fuji SLT780

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Is that a carb'ed or fuel injected Yamaha motor?
    I think it's an EFI motor. I've already done some research and I know upgrade #1 for a Yammie is WaveEater clips for the power valves. Without these it's usually not if, but when a valve drops, tags the piston and the cylinder is toast. #2 upgrade appears to be a necessary reinforcement of pump tunnel due to thin walls in the OEM build. I'm proficient with epoxy and glass cloth, so this isn't a big deal.

As others have said, engine parts for the Fuji motors will be available for a long time. Those Fuji 2-stroke 'Robin' engines were used in lots of applications other than watercraft.

Jet pump parts are also widely available, and parts are interchangeable from 1994 through 2004 models. Used parts from 'retired' parted out machines will continue to be available for quite a while.
    True indeed. I guess as a knee jerk reaction to having a potential buyer I was attempting to weigh all possible + and - on the 780. At first I began to wonder about the parts supply since the ski is now 13 years old and Polaris ceased production, but you're right about the Fuji's also having a life outside of PWC's. So, in all likelihood there will be plentiful parts for quite some time. Like Dano and Kev said, basic parts like bearings will be around and donor skis will be around too.

If you just want to end up with two reliable skis on a trailer, finding a double trailer and a second Polaris ski to go on it might be much cheaper than starting over with two completely different machines.

If you want to maintain them yourself, it is a lot more homework to delve into two different brands of PWC, than to add another Polaris to your fleet.

Even the domestic Polaris have a fair amount in common with your Fuji SLT780
    That's a thought I've had for a long time. I occassionally see Sl750's come up with the classic holed MAG piston. I've wanted to pull the trigger on one several times, but just haven't had the spare cash to make it happen.

Once again the GH Polaris gang comes through. You guys have convinced me the best thing is to just keep what I have. It may not be new, the purple and teal may be out of fashion, but it runs, it's fun, and I don't have a loan. All good things and all the more reason to keep it.

Thanks guys

+1
    You quit to easy....I was just Building up to the part were I say...Sell it and buy a Matrix....

Thread Information