Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

15f starting problems

I have a problem that I haven't finished diagnosing but thought I would ask here for help. A few weeks back my wife had starting issue when her battery decided to die. I jumped her ski with mine and we were half way back when it died. We didn't have the jumper cables again so I decide to switch batteries to start hers since the tow in would have been 2 far. In the mean time I lost the lead in my battery so we had to rig it to make it back in.

Ok so that is what happened and now this is what is happening. I have since put on a new prop, power filter and a new battery. The first time out with the new battery it ran fine. The next time out with the new battery and the new prop it ran even better than before. The third time out I had some issues with some vibration and noise whenever it would come out of the water. After about 1/2 hour of riding I shut it off and when I tried to restart it it would only crank very slowly like a weak battery. We towed it to shore and finally after about an hour we found someone with a jump box and barely was able to start it. Made it the 8+ miles back to the trailer and then when I shut it off nothing but a click.

Traded in the new battery for another one the same and charged it up. The ski started fine all week and I even ran it on the hose for awhile. Today I took it out in fresh water to see what would happen and after about 15 minutes it died and wouldn't restart. Once back home I took off the jetpump to find the impellor had spun itself off and that sucked (fixed that) but even with the pump removed it would only crank slowly. I charged up the battery (read 12.56) and the same thing only crank slowly. I pulled the plugs and it will crank really fast but with the plugs in it is very slow and kills the battery fast.

Now where I think I went wrong. I went to Walmart for these batteries and it works fine in my wifes and it did work in mine but it doesn't last. I want to test the charging system but I have to get it started to do this. I also want to go and buy an expensive battery but if it toast that I am more screwed. Where do I begin?

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Item 1... Walmart batteries are bad MANY time's. Get a good sealed battery and then check it out. That is probably your problem. Should also read 10.3+ volts when cranking.
    Always block off water hose from water box to engine when towing with vise grips or something. You can hydro-lock your ski this way.

Bet it's the pos walmart battery.

+1
    I decided to check out the battery by changing it with the wife's ski and mine did the same thing with the battery from her ski, cranked real slow wouldn't start. Her ski with my battery that showed weak when I took it out started real fast. Unless my ski takes a lot more cranking amps I don't believe it is the battery. I will have to start checking the starting points all the way up I guess. Any more help is appreciated.

+1
    Have a reread of this thread:

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=34283

In short, when the prop comes loose, it pushes the crankshaft forward closing off the oil circulation holes. The lack of oil takes its toll on the bearings. This is what happened to mine.

Before mine let go, it would run for a while but then would shut down. I could get it restarted but then after a while it would shut down again. It was due to the crank and bearings seizing.

+1
    Great sounds like the same thing. Thanks for the info. Not happy now but thanks.

+1
    I want to be sure before I tear the motor apart. I have the plugs out and the engine cranks fine. I can turn the coupler by hand but it is very tight, I never turned it by hand before so I don't know how hard it should be. With the plugs in it still cranks very slowly.

What parts did you actually have to replace when this happened to your ski? I would like to have them on hand when I tear it down. Did you have to replace the crank? I figure bearings, bushing and oil seals.

does the 15F have Pump Bearing in the jet pump? if so it could be those. Maybe try removing the pump and see how it cranks before tearing into the engine? I dont know if you can safely crank the engine without the pump in place though as it might move the crank?? Or just try replacing the pump bearings first. Seems easier than tearing into the engine.

Edit> Ok I just saw you ran with pump removed so there goes that theory.
    Could it be a starter issue?? I know its rare but maybe?

+1
    Thanks I have already tried it with the pump off and it cranks the same way. Thanks though.

So now both our skis are down. Ah what a love hate sport we chose. (This is Toni's Husband btw.)

+1
    Nice to meet you here. This does suck being late in the season and without a ski. Price you pay when you do stuff to it. Live and learn but sometimes the lessons can be expensive. Fortunately I do have great freinds that are willing to help and even loan a ski for a ride I didn't want to miss. Hopefully back on my ski soon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information