Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Exclamation What to do if seal fails

When those new Drive shaft Seals fail and the will. It is only a matter of time before one doesnt get the maintenance it requires and goes bad. Then as history points out rips the tube off the hull. Who is going to make a repair kit so you can fix it?? Seadoo has no reason a stock seal wont cause that problem so someone needs to step up before hand or somones summer will be ruined...Just a thought

+1
    Not sure what you are actually looking for here. Repair kit for what?
    What seal did you have that failed? There is no reason a well install seal that is greased/maintained should fail.

Thanks for answering. Does this new Seal system have needle Bearings like the old ones on pre 2000 Skis ? If so they are going to eventually run into a bearing failure and when that happens the Tubing tears the sleave its clamped to out of the hull. There is a kit to fix it on older Skis but not the 4Tecs with their bigger shafts.. If this is the case we need a repair kit before a failure.

Not trying to pee on the parade just bringing up history. The seal is nice idea.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by PEST! View Post
    Thanks for answering. Does this new Seal system have needle Bearings like the old ones on pre 2000 Skis ? If so they are going to eventually run into a bearing failure and when that happens the Tubing tears the sleave its clamped to out of the hull. There is a kit to fix it on older Skis but not the 4Tecs with their bigger shafts.. If this is the case we need a repair kit before a failure.

Not trying to pee on the parade just bringing up history. The seal is nice idea.
    The 4Tec motor skis use a carbon seal which is a bad design especially for modded skis or for those that jump the ski. They cavitate on holeshot and if you jump your ski and happen to break a motor mount you will sink. With the Rad4 you eliminate cavitation and it will remained sealed even if your engine does slide forward due to engine mount breaking. The Rad4 seal has been used for years and hours upon hours in the RXP and is now available for the other skis. Any other info I can help with on this let me know how I can be of help.

The Seal is nothing new just new to 4Tec's Is there a Bearing and how do you keep it from rusting to the shaft? It is and was available to all the 2 strokes I will agree the Seal would have saved at least 3 RXPs and my RXP this summer alone.

The Seal is nothing new just new to 4Tec's Is there a Bearing and how do you keep it from rusting to the shaft? It is and was available to all the 2 strokes I will agree the Seal would have saved at least 3 RXPs and my RXP this summer alone.
    You prevent it from rusting to the shaft by greasing it after every ride with a high quality marine grease.

+1
    I know that and many if not all the Yamaha's have them as well with no problems. I use Bel-Ray waterproof grease to keep the bearing lubed. However no water should get into the bearings anyway. The Rad4 seal has two double lip seals on the side exposed to water and one double lip seal in the front exposed to the engine compartment.

Thanks Gus and REX for the input. Yamahas have sealed Ball bearings and a long drive shaft in a Tube so very little water pressure and a grease barrier and a tube that is fixed in the Bearings and no engine of drive movement to distort the seal. As I have seen on your illustration that you have a better Shaft seal tolerances because of the shaft is machined to fit. Not the case in the old ones. Grease after every ride is a lot to ask of some riders. So do you have a fix made up for when they seize one and rip the tube its mounted to off the hull. What I have been getting at is. IT will happen just a matter of time. Something to think about.

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    So do you have a fix made up for when they seize one and rip the tube its mounted to off the hull. What I have been getting at is. IT will happen just a matter of time. Something to think about.
    That will be ugly ... and your right... it will happen sooner or later

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddyRXP View Post
    That will be ugly ... and your right... it will happen sooner or later
    It will? Never heard of anyone having any problems.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information