Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Has anyone run 2 + 4 in your 2 stroke? Results?

I've been searching the forum for a good additive to clean the carbs and keep them clean. I've seen the threads on Stabil and Seafoam and a couple others, but ran across this product on a site called "Bobistheoilguy." Anyone heard of 2 + 4 or used it before?

http://theoutboardwizard.bizhosting....nditioner.html

+1
    I'm really hesitant to run any kind of fuel additives in my ski. There's no way to tell what it will do to the gaskets, pump diaphragms, etc. The best way is to rebuild the carbs every couple of years.

African-American
    +1
    I run FORTÉ INJECTOR TREATMENT with my GP1300R, ive spoken to the engineers at FORTÉ and it works 100% on two strokes.

Quote Originally Posted by spaceman View Post
    I run Fortis Injector cleaner with my GP1300R, ive spoken to the engineers at fortis and it works 100% on two strokes.
    Mine has a carb - is there one for that?

+1
    How about this,

If you need to use a fuel system cleaner, fix the reason you need it, not just "clean up" after the fact?

If you must use a cleaner, use a "fuel system" cleaner. It has more cleaners in it per ounce than just a "carb" cleaner and will do a much better job.

One of the best is Techron. Wally World has it and it does not cost and arm and a nut.

Quote Originally Posted by NJJer View Post
    How about this,

If you need to use a fuel system cleaner, fix the reason you need it, not just "clean up" after the fact?

If you must use a cleaner, use a "fuel system" cleaner. It has more cleaners in it per ounce than just a "carb" cleaner and will do a much better job.

One of the best is Techron. Wally World has it and it does not cost and arm and a nut.
    Just looking for a preventative - my carb is actually amazingly clean for one that hasn't EVER been cleaned and wasn't run for over 4 years. This is what it says about the 2 + 4:

"8 ounce: 2 + 4 Outboard Engine Fuel Conditioner.
    Genuine BRP Bombardier Evinrude Johnson Product.

Concentrated Formula - 8 oz. treats 32 gallons.

Keeps your engine free from build-up. Extends the useful life of fuel in your engine.

Genuine Bombardier OMC Evinrude Johnson: Our Discount Price= $5.49.

Also available in 16 and 32 ounces.

Protect your engine and investment. Build-up in the fuel system will lead to many problems. Prevention is the key. Fuel additives can help. The 2 plus 4 fuel conditioner, (from the BRP OMC Evinrude Johnson line of fuel treatments), can help keep any 2- or 4-cycle engine free of build up. Gasoline left sitting in your outboard engine can develop into gum deposits and varnish build-ups."

As I have no nuts to give , I'd be willing try the techron; but if I already run Chevron with techron in my tank, should I steer clear of the additional additive?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Martimouse2 View Post
    Just looking for a preventative

As I have no nuts to give , I'd be willing try the techron; but if I already run Chevron with techron in my tank, should I steer clear of the additional additive?
    Umm......sorry, still learning who is who around here. No offense meant.

If you are using Chevron with Techron in it, you are good to go. No need to "double dose" with anything else.

I try to help people out by telling them why they don't need to do things. My problem is I see people using things to help out after the fact. If there is a problem, I say fix it rather than just use a "cure all" and get temporary relief. Why does Prep-H come to mind here?

As much as I hate to talk about it, lets look at Seafoam.

Seafoam is a cleaner with oils in it. It is not a stabilzer!

Seafoam when used in an engine..with lets say a carbon problem...."may help" the carbon build-up. I have seen it clean of piston domes and combustion chambers like new.

But where did all of this carbon go? Look at the sparkplugs. Chances are they are just full of a gooey carbon mess and now must be cleaned. That or the mess may be hanging on the exhaust valve and not letting it close all the way. (all of which I have seen and much more)

While the Seafoam was working its way to the combustion chambers, it was passing thru the fuel system. On its way, it was loosening up dirt, etc., on its trip.

Where did this dirt (also fuel line "bits") go? How about right into the carb/fuel injectors. Now we have another problem, clogs.

If we just use good fuel and stick to a decent routine maintenance program, we will not have these problems.

All gas at the pump has cleaners in it. If it didn't, these fuel injected cars would all be sitting on the side of the road not running.

Pick a "good" gas and keep in it a clean and air-tight container and all should be well. Don't let your lines get old and dry up. Change fuel filters at least once a season.

Remember, whatever ends up in the gas that should not be there, got there by someones mistake.

Note to self..You are not at work any more....stop with the gas talk.

LOL - no offense taken. I do appreciate the advice with experience to back it up. I think for now I'll just stick to the Chevron and check the carb again after a few tanks of gas. I've never run any additives in it before, and who knows - that may be why it's so clean now - but I neglected the ski for a long time, leaving it in the lake for so long without running and I want to give it the best shot at "survival."

32 Valves To Love! Racecar_Dave's Avatar
    +1
    If you run MOTUL 800 oil it will clean every part of your engine. I did alot of reasearch on it on many different forums (model airplanes, lumberjacks, dirt bike, kart racing) and every single person told me that when they went to do a top end rebuild after running the MOTUL they were amazed with how clean EVERYTHING was, especially the powervalves. I think its a premix oil though. I think the injector oil has the same detergents in it. Call MOTUL and ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Racecar_Dave View Post
    If you run MOTUL 800 oil it will clean every part of your engine. I did alot of reasearch on it on many different forums (model airplanes, lumberjacks, dirt bike, kart racing) and every single person told me that when they went to do a top end rebuild after running the MOTUL they were amazed with how clean EVERYTHING was, especially the powervalves. I think its a premix oil though. I think the injector oil has the same detergents in it. Call MOTUL and ask.
    I'll research it - thanks for the tip. I suppose I could temporarily go premix for a couple tanks. I'd really prefer to keep my oil pump long term though. BTW, I just went to take the carb completely apart to see if needed a rebuild and I have some rust. Can't tell yet if it's superficial or in the vital parts (i.e. was it condensation or in the fuel or both). I haven't run across any varnish or gunk though. Does the MOTUL have any effect on rust or water in the system?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information