Thread: This is odd....

This is odd....

Long story short...I have a 96 and a 97 GSX. The 96 will hit right at 7k in a hole shot then after about 2-3 seconds will bite and go hard. I changed out the wear ring as the clearance was out of spec so I thought it was cavitating. After putting in the new wear ring the clearance was back in spec. The impeller showed no damage at all, not even a scratch on the blades. It still jumps up to 7k out of the hole for about 2-3 seconds before it bites. My 97 does not do this. It will bite hard in a hole shot maxing out at around 6,400 RPM then building to around 6,800 once planed out. On the top end both are evenly matched as for top speed. Is there a difference in impellers or grates between a 96 and a 97?
    MaxDoc

"Tearing it up on the water" seadoobutch787's Avatar
    the front electrical box is diff from a 96-97. The 97 has a better one. I had a buddy's 96gtx do the same thing but it was a shot wear ring.

Your splines in either your pto or your driveshaft could be worn out causing your problem.

Hmmmmm... Interesing ....

May have to look at the PTO when I pull them for the season...
    If it was the splines I would think that once it bites there would be more of a problem. I also plan on checking the intake grate when its out of the water to make sure its not loose anywhere...
    MaxDoc

If your not hearing any grinding from worn splines (which you cannot mistake), your most likely sucking air in somewhere. My guess without seeing it, is around the pump to shoe mounting. Easy fix.

I'd check that as it only takes about 20 mins to get the pump out and see. My friends 96 GTX did just that and it was sucking air until we sealed it.

I don't see how it could be anything electrical as your saying the motor is revving up all the way, then catching up a few seconds later. As long as you don't mean, the rpm drop way down then recoup and pull hard. If it just jumps to 7k and stays for a few seconds then catches up, air leaking somewhere around the pump.

+1
    Both skis could of been programmed differently in their timing advance from the factory too. have to hit a dealer to check it out.

TLR

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwick86 View Post
    If your not hearing any grinding from worn splines (which you cannot mistake), your most likely sucking air in somewhere. If it just jumps to 7k and stays for a few seconds then catches up, air leaking somewhere around the pump.
    +1

Either ride shoe or carbon ring.

+1

Cool

try preloading carbon ring,loosen rear clamp and pull bellows forward then put a tyrap around tube to space then re clamp

later cd

Alrighty then...

I will check out the pump, ride plate, and carbon ring this weekend. Thanks for all the advice!!!!

MaxDoc

Thread Information