2002 F12x Idle problem & Mid Range Problem

I have a stock F12X. Turbo was replaced 14 hours ago. The engine stubmbles at an idle and RPM/s at idel was 950 to 1100 bounceing around and feels like a miss. It will run to 60 mph but only 6000 rpm's while my F12 non turbo runs to 6790 rpms.

I called the dealer and he said gas issues or plugs. I just ran it this last weekend for 5 hours at lake havasu, az going thru a tank and a half of fresh gas...Chevron 91 and Texaco 91 both with techron. On a prior tank I dumped in some Octane 104 as the dealer said I had old bad gas.

We raised the idle to 1100 to 1300 rpm's and it improved slightly missing less than before but still missing and stumbling. At high speed, 6000 rpm's ad 58 t0 60 mph she ran fine except an occassional drop in rpm's to 5000 but this cleared up after a couple hours of hard riding. However, when slowing down to 3000 rpm's, the engine would sometimes vibrate and be unresponsive, no turbo response and lack of power. I would then let up on the gas completely slow down and after the rpm's dropped to idle, I could then give it the gas and it would scream back to 6000 rpm's and 60 mph. Some times after slowing to 3000 rpm, I could get it respond again by hitting the throttle 4-5 times and then she would run back to 6000 rpm's but most of the time, that wouldn't work. Could it be plugs???? Fuel injector??? Or what?????

If two people rode on the ski, the above symptoms were more pronounced and you couldn't get it up to speed and it wouldn't plane out.

Any ideas I would appreciate the help.

my guess would be bad plugs. You will not rev your motor past around 6k on the turbo model because it is limited. the non turbo will rev higher due to not being forced induction. Also may want to check the o2 sensor because gas messes with it. Especially race gas(104). at least with cars it fouls them out very quickly.

I build Horsepower
    +1
    There is no limit on the Turbo model, they simply are loaded by a 16/26 prop were the Non-turbo uses a 9/15 or so prop. Put a F12 prop on a F12x and it to will turn more RPM (but no more speed). Its load (torque) that determines RPM. Simple as that.

Also, There is no 02 sensor on any Honda Ski ever made.

I agree though, sounds like bad plugs.

Shawn

Thanks for the info.....I was wondering about the RPM's but the speed seemed ok....I just pulled the plugs and they are black....no deposits...just black and smell of gas...don't know if this is from ideling at the end of a very fast last ride just to cool off the turbo or from when I flushed the ski back at home. Two of the tips show a little silver and two are black all the way to the end of the tip of the electrode. My co-workers said I should try cleaning them with gas and a wire brush but the manual says don't clean. Any thoughts on cleaning them or just buy knew.

+1
    Buy new - at least if this doesnt cure the problem you can eliminate that instead of chasing your tail

Quote Originally Posted by NitroShark View Post
    There is no limit on the Turbo model, they simply are loaded by a 16/26 prop were the Non-turbo uses a 9/15 or so prop. Put a F12 prop on a F12x and it to will turn more RPM (but no more speed). Its load (torque) that determines RPM. Simple as that.

Also, There is no 02 sensor on any Honda Ski ever made.

I agree though, sounds like bad plugs.

Shawn

I just saw this post and am curious. Are you saying there is NOT a rev limit on the turbo ski? I have been trying to get my prop pitched steep enough to keep the rpm's down when I turn the boost up. My ski was surging last weekend at 6500 and i thought it was the re limit.

I build Horsepower
    +1
    The OP has a Stock F12x....

Both the X and Non-X Honda's have ECU "rev limits" programed in.

This is not what I was referring to. My information is that even if you removed the ECU rev limit, you still would make the same power as you have now.

Your HP is not controlled by the ECU Rev Limit.

Shawn

Thanks! Do you have a website or a list of parts/services you sell? I would love to get rid of my stock rev limit, etc.. and you seem to know a lot about these skis

ME TOO

I had the same thing this weekend happen to me on my r12x.....was thinking bad fuel.....did the plugs fix it?

+1
    yes plugs. oreilly for 11 bux. dealer 20 bux.

Thread Information