Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Talking Got first ski- XLT1200. Now I have questions

Hi guys, I recently bought my first ski; a '01 xlt 1200. Now I have a few questions for you. I have worn out the search function on the site, but have not come to conclusive answers on the questions. For reference, I bought the ski bone stock. The ski has 148hrs on it. Each cylinder reads 120psi on my compression tester (pv servo was not disconnected for the test). It has used Yamalube its entire life. The top end was rebuilt a "couple of years ago". I am the third owner and bought it from a trusted person. Now for a couple of questions:

1. Answered: thanks Zx11rider

2. I am going to switch from Yamalube to Amsoil. When switch is there anything besides switching on a low tank that I should do or be wary of?

3. I see many people with several different impeller pitches but most are on modded skis. My understanding that a Solas 12/18 would be appropriate for a "stock" ski.

3. As far as ride plates go, Is one better than another. I am not talking about a "tweaked" plate. Just referring to a buy-it and bolt-it on variety.

I have replaced the cat-con with a d-plate and chip. I have also bought a pump shoe kit but have not installed it. I wanted to replace the grate and impeller and the same time. I have re-secured the oil lines although I think I will add the oetiker clamps now that I have seen them. I am ~ 1/2 tank through a ringfree shock treatment and intend on running one more tank at 2oz/gal. Currently I am having issues with cavitation on the holeshot that is especially bad if anyone else is on the ski. I am not looking to outrun everyone on the lake just yet. I am just looking for a better hook up on the bottom end and a little more speed on the top end if that is possible. I will be riding almost exclusively on a relatively small lake with minimal chop except for the weekends when it gets to 1-2' tops. Right now, in smooth-ish water, my dream-o-meter reads 57mph. I am inclined to to work myself and have no problem wrenching on my own toys. Alright, I think that is about it. Now, educate me.

If your not doing something, its hard to screw up. stlouisramsfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Noob View Post
    Hi guys, I recently bought my first ski; a '01 xlt 1200. Now I have a few questions for you. I have worn out the search function on the site, but have not come to conclusive answers on the questions. For reference, I bought the ski bone stock. The ski has 148hrs on it. Each cylinder reads 120psi looks good on my compression tester (pv servo was not disconnected for the test). It has used Yamalube its entire life. The top end was rebuilt a "couple of years ago". I am the third owner and bought it from a trusted person. Now for a couple of questions:

1. Answered: thanks Zx11rider

2. I am going to switch from Yamalube to Amsoil. When switch is there anything besides switching on a low tank that I should do or be wary of? i would just get a hand oil pump nd pump out as much as you can then add the amsoil...

3. I see many people with several different impeller pitches but most are on modded skis. My understanding that a Solas 12/18 would be appropriate for a "stock" ski. I used an 11-18 to start (repitched by island racing.... works great for holeshot

3. As far as ride plates go, Is one better than another. I am not talking about a "tweaked" plate. Just referring to a buy-it and bolt-it on variety. R&D works good, can always mod it later...

I have replaced the cat-con with a d-plate and chip. I have also bought a pump shoe kit but have not installed it Make sure you get a tube of 3M 4200 or 5200 fast cure caulk. I wanted to replace the grate and impeller and the same time. I have re-secured the oil lines although I think I will add the oetiker clamps now that I have seen them. I am ~ 1/2 tank through a ringfree shock treatment and intend on running one more tank at 2oz/gal I personally never add ringfree or any other additive unless its stabil, because your replacing furl with other, maakes it lean to me,,,. Currently I am having issues with cavitation on the holeshot that is especially bad if anyone else is on the ski. I am not looking to outrun everyone on the lake just yet. I am just looking for a better hook up on the bottom end and a little more speed on the top end if that is possible Pump plug kit, grate and prop will fix this (unless wear ring is damaged). I will be riding almost exclusively on a relatively small lake with minimal chop except for the weekends when it gets to 1-2' tops. Right now, in smooth-ish water, my dream-o-meter reads 57mph need gps to know real speed. I am inclined to to work myself and have no problem wrenching on my own toys. Alright, I think that is about it. Now, educate me.
    my thoughts in red, need some waveeater clips asap, unless it has already been addressed already

Quote Originally Posted by stlouisramsfan View Post
    my thoughts in red, need some waveeater clips asap, unless it has already been addressed already
    I knew I forgot something. It does have waveeater clips and couplers installed; however, the clips look like the aluminum version. I assumed they would be better just based on strength of material, but that is just my uneducated guess.

I have a re-pitched Island racing 12/18 prop for sale. Since your new to the forum I was selling it for 190 shipped. I will take 20 bucks off for you!!!
    Welcome to the forum
    Pm me if your interested!!!
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by scittb View Post
    I have a re-pitched Island racing 12/18 prop for sale. Since your new to the forum I was selling it for 190 shipped. I will take 20 bucks off for you!!!
    Welcome to the forum
    Pm me if your interested!!!
    Scott
    I have seen scott on here for the couple years i have been here, never bought anything from him, but always heard good thingd, if the prop is in good shape, grab it...

I have seen scott on here for the couple years i have been here, never bought anything from him, but always heard good thingd, if the prop is in good shape, grab it...
    Thanks man I appreciate it. PM sent Matt!!

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    +100 Scott is a straight up guy.

Quote Originally Posted by scittb View Post
    Thanks man I appreciate it. PM sent Matt!!
    Sweet, thanks Scott. Now I almost have myself a Friday afternoon project. In reference to another point about using 3M 4200 and 5200, I have read that the 5200 is a beast to deal with if you ever want to remove it. The reason I am curious is that as long as I am messing around; I though I might fill in the bolts. Would there be any benefit to me doing that and am I correct in assuming that the 3M 4200 would be the stuff to use?

i think either would be fine, as long as you get the fast cure... west marine stocks it for a caulk gun, $20 tube... should need just 1 tube

Quote Originally Posted by Noob View Post
    Sweet, thanks Scott. Now I almost have myself a Friday afternoon project. In reference to another point about using 3M 4200 and 5200, I have read that the 5200 is a beast to deal with if you ever want to remove it. The reason I am curious is that as long as I am messing around; I though I might fill in the bolts. Would there be any benefit to me doing that and am I correct in assuming that the 3M 4200 would be the stuff to use?
    make sure you read up on setting the pump shoe correct or you will lose speed mine was set up by Jim here is what it looks like...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1359.JPG 
Views:	112 
Size:	677.2 KB 
ID:	147287

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1360.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	440.6 KB 
ID:	147288

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1361.JPG 
Views:	113