Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dealer for 25 Hr Service?

Coming up on my 25 hour service on my '08 250x. I was looking through my service manual and realized I can pretty do most if not all of it on my own. Just kinda wondering since I have the extended warranty and I do service it myself, could I screw myself if I had to make a warranty claim in the future? I just remember they charged me 100 bucks for the 10hr, which amounted to little more than an oil change, and I asked them to check the SC belt tension, they wiggled it and said it was fine. I cant wait to see what they want for 25hr service!

You can do it yourself, just save reciepts and keep records. Read up on here and get the service manual. You will need, Belt tension tool (just wiggling it does not tell you much), oil filter wrench, oil pumper, antisieze for plugs, and service manual is a good idea. Dont remove plugs when engine is hot as they may break in head. Dont over tighten plugs, and always use anti seize so they dont get stuck in head and break.
    Use the search feature up top and just read away. Here is a good link on some stuff including oil change:

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48374

I brought my 2009 Ultra 260X to the dealer for just an Oil change. It has only 10 hours on it. I wanted to get the break-in oil changed out. So I called and asked if it would be a good day to bring it in and they said sure bring it in. So I brought it down and left it for the day. At 5:30pm they had not completed to job and told me "Maybe tomorrow" so I said forget it and I will be down to pick it up. When I arrived, I went inside to take care any paperwork so they pulled up the bill to void it out and it was $261.00!?! I am like "why would it of been so much it was just an oil change". They said "well that includes checking the supercharger" (something I didn't even ask for!). So I left and called the another dealer and they gave me a price of "less than $110.00".

they probably meant checking the super charger belt tension. At 10 hours they are suppose to do that plus check/tighten all hoses and clamps, along with oil and filter change.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Red08Ultra250 View Post
    they probably meant checking the super charger belt tension. At 10 hours they are suppose to do that plus check/tighten all hoses and clamps, along with oil and filter change.
    The manual says 50 hours for the first oil change if I recall correctly???

+1

oil change at 50 hrs.

[quote=dmk;1187937]The manual says 50 hours for the first oil change if I recall correctly???[/qu
    your supposed to change the oil every year or every 50 hrs.
    some people can't get 50 hrs on a ski in a life time because its for show behind the house on the water. the last thing you want is a rotten out oil filter from the salt air or possible water in oil because you have not checked it because it's not at 50 hrs. the oil changes are more like oil rotations because you can't get it all out. so more the better. the 250/260x needs more attention because you can get more blow by through the rings causing gas to mix with oil (not good either)

Quote Originally Posted by Red08Ultra250 View Post
    I know, but, I just wanted an oil change to get the initial break-in oil out. As far as all the extra goes, I didn't ask for it. My point to this thread is shop around and make sure you have an idea of how much it's going to cost before the job is done.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    What you should have done is talk to the service manager and find out what its going to cost and what they are going to do before you have the work done...............

+1
    I recently had my 25 hours service. Have no idea what the tech did as I was not around and he did it in the water (or on the hydroport).
    Anyway, the receipt says he changed the oil and filter (which isn't listed until 50 hours).
    I also noticed the catch tube, or whatever that clear plastic test tube type item is, was still full it appeared. I'm guessing that is to be drained?

I'm wondering what else he did or didn't doIs there a way for me to confirm what should or should not have been done.

It had been about 6 weeks since I rode it and the service. Upon starting it up, it idled very rough for the first several minutes. Previously it's only been a couple of weeks between runs but always a relatively smooth cold start.
    So, are these things really cold blooded or what?

Thanks in advance

My 2c

My advice to you is to buy a service manual and try to learn how to do the service yourself. You can save a lot of $$$, know the work is actually being done (I don't trust shops w/ my ski), and learn something (it can be fun at times too).

If you are not comfortable doing it yourself and you don't have any friends that can help then definantly take it to a shop if you want your ski to last. I would reccomend doing every service in the manual at the specified times. An every 50hr oil change is absolute bare minimum service for a ski.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information