Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

06 GTX SC locked up.

My buddy just brought over his GTX today after telling me that it "blew up" while riding it on the lake sunday. He bought it this year with 6 hrs and we rebuilt the SC with riva washers right away. Been running sweet ever since. That is till yesterday.

I wasn't with him when it went, but he said it just quit after doing 30 mph and wouldn't turn over at all. I verified that it's locked up today in my driveway. Basically you crank the engine long enough for something to just go "DUNK". Then nothing. Pulled the spark plugs and same thing. Fresh battery, and i looked it over very well and can't see anything obvious it's a very clean ski.

We have a buddy that is a seadoo mechanic at the local shop here and he says it's screwed as well. I'm sure he knows what he's talking about and i don't doubt his expertise, but there's no second opinion around here. Do 4-tecs just shyt the bed?

Has anyone out there heard of something like this happening before? My buddy is going to order a new engine from SBT next week based off the seadoo mechanics recommendations. How difficult is this engine change with a manual and two very mechanically inclined people and what special tools are required?

Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks

They have valves break sometimes and do just what you said. The local Machine shop say he can repair most of them like new for less than $300 Then you would need to change the piston and Rod on that cylinder and more if you want it like new

+1
    I would be inclined to take it apart before I label it a lost cause. An engine swap is extremely simple. Unbolt the mounts, wiring, air intake, exhaust, pull the driveshaft...That's pretty much it. No special tools are needed with 2 people present. Don't forget that coolant and water will leak out if both cooling circuits are not drained beforehand.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    dont buy an SBT 4-tec is my advice

tear it down and see what locked up

for the 2500 bucks an SBT motor will cost you.... you can buy a used running motor for about the same without a core....

Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    +1
    Danno... just a guess, but remove the seven bolts that hold the intake manifold in place, lift up and back about 2-3", and then peer into the intake ports with a flashlight. You will probably find the missing valve(s) and it (they) will most likely be in the rear cylinder. That, or the timing chain broke.

BTW... do you crew an "R" model?

Jeff

You guys are great, thanks for the responses. We are going to tear into this thing pretty soon and figure out what went wrong. I agree, i believe we need to verify what happened before we start throwing new motors around. I think we'll start with the valve cover and see if anythings broken under there. I'll post pics if we find anything. Thanks guys.

Jeff, Yes i crew R models, I've crewed tankers now for 11 years. lol. Small world. Did you serve in the military?

+1
    Something else to try is to take the air intake off and see if the supercharger wheel rocks back and forth at all. It should move about a 1/16th. If it doesnt budge at all the SC bearings are locked up. Pull the SC and verify this. I have seen this happen before making one think the engine was done for.

Been there done that

Hey, the exact same thing happened to me about a week ago. I had a fresh rebuild on the supercharger and in about 10min or less the ski made a funny noise, I let off the throttle and then she died. Would not turn over, just clunk. SC was locked up impeller was wiped, actually the whole sc was wiped. I got a new sc and cleaned the whole intake tract, removed the IC and intake manifold cleaned & inspected everything. I am in the process of reinstalling everything and will try it again tommorow on the hose. Good luck and since I just went through this PM me if you have a question maybe i can help, maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by martinr1000d View Post
    Hey, the exact same thing happened to me about a week ago. I had a fresh rebuild on the supercharger and in about 10min or less the ski made a funny noise, I let off the throttle and then she died. Would not turn over, just clunk. SC was locked up impeller was wiped, actually the whole sc was wiped. I got a new sc and cleaned the whole intake tract, removed the IC and intake manifold cleaned & inspected everything. I am in the process of reinstalling everything and will try it again tommorow on the hose. Good luck and since I just went through this PM me if you have a question maybe i can help, maybe not.

Great, thanks alot man.....hopefully that's what it is. I'll keep you guys posted.

Update: My buddy pulled the SC out and found that the bearings shelled out. He said the ball bearings are just rolling around in there. I'm going to look at everthing now. Can you start these 4-tecs with the SC removed?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information