Question Question 96 GTX Rev Issues RPM and Other Issue

Hi, I've just registered on the forum, but have read around site in the past for help.

I have a few issues with my 1996 Seadoo GTX (787cc engine) which i will list below.

1. My first issue is a revving problem. Some possibly related background: I recently took off the carbs and choke plates to install a primer kit (due to hard starts). I have not used the ski in 6 months. The compression in both pistons is around 148psi........I took my ski out last weekend and it was "popping, bogging, etc" and only getting to 4500rpm, and sounding very ordinary!.. after a few minutes out in the water, it suddenly was able to reach 7000rpm and was running perfectly. acceleration and top end were fantastic..... I went out again this weekend, only to find the same issue, but this time it did not fix itself, so i had to come back in after 10 mins as it would not get past 4500rpm (and bad performance)...
      I have inspected the RAVE valves, and they are clean and free.
      I think the ski might be running oil rich as it blows a fair bit of smoke when revving and even at idle.. Is there any tips on how much to let the oil pump open?

Any guidance on this revving problem would be greatly appreciated.
    2. Another question, With the rear boot over the drive shaft, how much play is there suppose to be. I can pull the boot back and was not sure if that is fine?..

What grease do you guys use in the grease nipple at the PTO shaft?

Thanks in advance,

Tony.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Hey Tony. Sorry nobody posted yet...and welcome to the forum!

You have a failing rectifier. Check this thread for reference on what it looks like. This will fix your intermittent, now permanent bog problem.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=104284

The accordian boot can be slid away from the SS ring, but it does need to have adequate pressure to keep it from leaking.

White lithium grease in the PTO at the front of the driveshaft .

Robert

thanks for that helpfull info robert.

Come to think of it my ski has alot of the issues they raised, eg (my ski always says 12v low even though the battery is fully conditioned).

If i have trouble locating the recifier, i will post here, but as i have the service manual, and a rough idea of its size and shape, i should be fine to inspect it.

Thanks for the other info on the boot and grease required.

Kind regards!
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by fire View Post
    Hi, I've just registered on the forum, but have read around site in the past for help.

I have a few issues with my 1996 Seadoo GTX (787cc engine) which i will list below.

1. My first issue is a revving problem. Some possibly related background: I recently took off the carbs and choke plates to install a primer kit (due to hard starts). I have not used the ski in 6 months. The compression in both pistons is around 148psi........I took my ski out last weekend and it was "popping, bogging, etc" and only getting to 4500rpm, and sounding very ordinary!.. after a few minutes out in the water, it suddenly was able to reach 7000rpm and was running perfectly. acceleration and top end were fantastic..... I went out again this weekend, only to find the same issue, but this time it did not fix itself, so i had to come back in after 10 mins as it would not get past 4500rpm (and bad performance)...
      I have inspected the RAVE valves, and they are clean and free.
      I think the ski might be running oil rich as it blows a fair bit of smoke when revving and even at idle.. Is there any tips on how much to let the oil pump open?

Any guidance on this revving problem would be greatly appreciated.
    2. Another question, With the rear boot over the drive shaft, how much play is there suppose to be. I can pull the boot back and was not sure if that is fine?..

What grease do you guys use in the grease nipple at the PTO shaft?

Thanks in advance,

Tony.

thought i should add that i have now resolved this issue, and it turned out to be a failed rectifier as robert (96XPSS) clearly identified. Thank you.

I rebuilt the rectifier, (replaced the 2x 2N6397 chips) which do the AC-->DC conversion and it solved the problem.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by fire View Post
    I rebuilt the rectifier, (replaced the 2x 2N6397 chips) which do the AC-->DC conversion and it solved the problem.
    ohhh come on now! you cant tease us like that with out making a "how to" if you have pics that would help but you have to do a write up for us for a stickey!

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Glad you got it fixed Tony!

How much were the replacement chips?

Thread Information