Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

head bolt removal

just got got off the phone with lowell to do have head milled ,went over details about putting back on ,forgot to ask first about removing bolts, if they seem tight, i certainly do'nt want to "strip "any a little W 2 should do it but what if it does,nt, ?

+1
    I have never had a head bolt give me problems on removal. loosen it in reverse order of torque pattern

Make sure you have a copy of the shop manual and follow the instructions. Good detailed info.

+1
    I usually use a little heat before I take the bolts off just to loosen the loctite

+1

bolt removal

thanks guys,yes we discussed removal sequence reverse to take off and then put on,first, he recommends you must put new gasket on and start 15lbs sequence to put on then to 25 ,anybody recommend a quality torque wrench for the socket sizes necessary(8mm ,10mm exchaustmounts)?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdave56 View Post
    thanks guys,yes we discussed removal sequence reverse to take off and then put on,first, he recommends you must put new gasket on and start 15lbs sequence to put on then to 25 ,anybody recommend a quality torque wrench for the socket sizes necessary(8mm ,10mm exchaustmounts)?
    I hate to say it because they cost so damn much..... Snap On.

Borrow one from somebody, or buy one from harbor Freight and compare readings to a known good one. You may get one that is close or even one.

+1

wrench

thanks n.j. the craftman one looks ok, but i go with your advice, i want the best, thanks, its a small investment for what you get in returna great quality tool is a lifetime investment, trust me!

+1
    thanks n.j. the craftman one looks ok, but i go with your advice, i want the best, thanks, its a small investment for what you get in returna great quality tool is a lifetime investment, trust me!
    Don't be so quick to dismiss Craftsman. I have some for home and when I send them out with my Snap Ons to be re-calibrated, they are either very very close too, or dead on with the Snap Ons.

FYI. I use mostly Craftsman hand tools. For what the Snap On/MAC/Matco cost, I have 3-4 sets of Craftsman. And if I break one, I walk over to the tool box and grab another. No waiting for days/week to get a replacement......if he even has it on the truck.

+1

tools

n.j i don,t know if you read my bio , i,m a carpenter/ furniture builder by trade, i, own about $10,000 in tools, ,80% craftman, i just want one torque(which i do not own) to be dead-on accurate, i feel like #hit not using a torque on my bolt-ons (rideplate-impeller etc.) i went "old school" hand tighten and some for these .your the man!

+1
    n.j i don,t know if you read my bio , i,m a carpenter/ furniture builder by trade, i, own about $10,000 in tools, ,80% craftman, i just want one torque(which i do not own) to be dead-on accurate, i feel like #hit not using a torque on my bolt-ons (rideplate-impeller etc.) i went "old school" hand tighten and some for these .your the man!
    Nope, never did read you bio.... that I know of anyway.

No sense in my preaching to the choir here, you know all about tools.

If I had to do it all over again, I would just buy a Craftsman and have it calibrated every so often depending on use. Not go out and buy both.

Let us know what you end up getting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information