Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

08 Ultra LX Intake mockup, Please Critique

I didn’t like the fact that the only “intake system” Riva sold for the Ultra LX was a filter that you bolt on to the throttle body and 2 little breather filters, all for the crazy price of $129.99 plus shipping.

Breaking it down:

$30.00 K&N Air Filter
    $12.00 Waterproof filter cover
    $10.00 Breather Filter 1
    $10.00 Breather Filter 2
    ---------------
    $62.00 Total

Yeah not worth buying their “kit”

I had a filter and some 3inch aluminum pipe lying around the garage and decided to mockup my own intake... Would like to get some commentary as to my design of pipe and filter placement. Should I leave it in the back, move it to the front of the ski?

I took the ski on the river today with the intake mockup and I have to say it felt a lot more responsive and gained a little top speed. Hopefully will have access to a gps this weekend to confirm the difference and the real speed.

Thanks!

28 Views and not one comment? Do you guys not like me or something?? Is this forum all 250/260x?? No one cares enough about the Ultra Lx??

Looks like my riva intake for my 15f. Pretty
    basic. Notice any gains?
    What about moving further back by rear
    seat to suck in cooler air? Raise up the rear
    seat so it sucks in outside air

Its not that no one here doesn't like you, well maybe I dunno....but to garner a ton of responses from some stuff that you had laying around the garage isn't going to happen...in your case anything is better than stock so your doing good. Now if you strap some stuff on and you gain 2-10mph you'll get some response!

good luck!

+1
    What were your gains?
    Where did you run the top hose from your catch can that ran to the air box?
    Which K&N filters did you get?
    Where did you get them along with the 90 and the coupling?
    I see you purchased 2 secondary filters, where did you mount the second one?
    Where was the water cover?
    Is other piping available to run the filter to other locations?
    Having it with the 90 rather than strait to the throttle body as Riva has it, how does it handle in the rough stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Dubz1 View Post
    basic. Notice any gains?
    Thanks for the response!! Finally someone I can discuss this with!!

Yes this was a basic mockup because I did not know how to position the filter best. Thatís exactly what I wanted to find out, if it is more beneficial to move the filter further to the back of the craft OR move it to the front of the ski. There is plenty of room to run a pipe under the intake manifold and place the filter up front. That was my main concern, not knowing where the craft gets most of its air from for the engine bay.

Gains, I believe it got about 1mph per hour top speed. Iím going to GPS it this weekend to confirm. Throttle response also felt much better!

Oh and how do you mean to raise the rear seat?

Thanks!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubz1 View Post
    basic. Notice any gains?
    I had someone mention to me a while back about lifting the seat and removing the hoses, it was a big improvement in engine compartment temp. Didn't really notice an improvement in performance though.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by powerdbygarrett View Post
    Thanks for the response!! Finally someone I can discuss this with!!

Yes this was a basic mockup because I did not know how to position the filter best. Thatís exactly what I wanted to find out, if it is more beneficial to move the filter further to the back of the craft OR move it to the front of the ski. There is plenty of room to run a pipe under the intake manifold and place the filter up front. That was my main concern, not knowing where the craft gets most of its air from for the engine bay.

Gains, I believe it got about 1mph per hour top speed. Iím going to GPS it this weekend to confirm. Throttle response also felt much better!

Oh and how do you mean to raise the rear seat?

Thanks!
    I would think the front of the engine compartment would produce cooler air. As far as raising the rear seat, the bolt/post that the seat clips on has a set bolt on it whereyou can set the height.

Quote Originally Posted by madtown_chris View Post
    Its not that no one here doesn't like you, well maybe I dunno....but to garner a ton of responses from some stuff that you had laying around the garage isn't going to happen...in your case anything is better than stock so your doing good. Now if you strap some stuff on and you gain 2-10mph you'll get some response!
    Quote Originally Posted by madtown_chris View Post

good luck!

I guess Iím new to the Jet Ski forums and to the Jet Ski world in general but on my car forums I have 1000+ posts on Honda-Tech, Preludepower, tristatetuners, so on and so forth. With that said, reason being is advice, commentary and critique. For example, when someone makes something themselves, ďCustomĒ if you will, It is much more appreciated then when something that is mass produced is purchased.
    The plan is exactly like you said, to strap some stuff on without any major help from Riva (other than the ride plate off course) and gain up to 10mph. Iím sorry if I am offending anyone but 130 dollars for a filter with a net is way too much to be charging, same with the exhaust, that same pipe that they sell to bypass the second water box is 60 dollars MAX to have made, not $250
    Just with this intake alone I am positive I gained at least 1.5 mph, will be GPSíing this weekend to confirm.
    My background is in cars, FAST cars, so Iím not talking out of my ass here!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by lasportsmn View Post
    What were your gains?
    Where did you run the top hose from your catch can that ran to the air box?
    Which K&N filters did you get?
    Where did you get them along with the 90 and the coupling?
    I see you purchased 2 secondary filters, where did you mount the second one?
    Where was the water cover?
    Is other piping available to run the filter to other locations?
    Having it with the 90 rather than strait to the throttle body as Riva has it, how does it handle in the rough stuff?

Gains are still to be confirmed, but you can for sure feel the difference. For the top hose from the catch can I just put a little breather filter on it. Same with the two vacuum lines from the valve cover connecting to the original air box. Eventually when I make my exhaust Iím going to get rid of the catch can and the two other fittings on the valve cover completely. Little breather filter on the valve cover and the Riva block offs for the other two on the valve cover.

I didnít get a K&N filter yet, I just threw on what I had laying around. The piping I had laying around from when I was making my intercooler setup on my latest track car. You can get a bunch of piping from EBay. The couplers are home depot three layer couplers. I didnít get a water cover yet but depending where the filter eventually gets placed for good I donít think it might be needed.
    The river was rather choppy yesterday when I went to test it and I jumped some wakes, checked it every now and then and it didnít move an inch (also I wire tied it to one of the tubes in the engine bay). Eventually when I figure out the best place to put the filter Iím going to weld on some security brackets.
    I had someone mention to me a while back about lifting the seat and removing the hoses, it was a big improvement in engine compartment temp. Didn't really notice an improvement in performance though.

Usually anytime you have less heat, more cooler air is inducted into the motor and results in more power, if not that than at the very least your getting better gas mileage because the motor does not have to work as hard.
    How do you lift the seat? If you lift it can you still have a passenger sit on it??
    I would think the front of the engine compartment would produce cooler air. As far as rising the rear seat, the bolt/post that the seat clips on has a set bolt on it whereyou can set the height.

I think I Have enough piping left over to make a second intake that runs to the front of the ski. Should have my friends GPS this weekend so what Iím going to do is find the difference between the two. Swapping them out at the lake should only take minutes so I will let you know the results! Also going to raise the seat when the testing the current intake.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Pull the seat base off and add a couple of washers to the bolts,that will lift the seat..............

11. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information