MSD 4255 timing settings for 787 modified ski

Hi Guys, I am wondering what some of you have your settings set at on a modified ski with the 4255 or any other brand of enhancer. Maximum timing, Retard begin speed, Max speed rev limit,Max speed retard.

Thanks,Aubrey

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Hey Aubrey,

What mods, and what pipe? How much compression and squish?

That will help. Do you have the manual too?

Hi 96XPSS, I have been watching your little league team in the world series. I am pulling for them.
    Thanks for replying. I am running a Rossier pipe,MSD water injection, Rossier cyl. porting, Rossier reworked head w/185 lbs. of compression and a squish of 50, MSD ignition enhancer, 47 Buckshot Billets, Prox Arestors, 17/22 skat swrill w/82-85 nozzle,Pump wedge,Odyssey sponsons, Pet 2100 tack,93 octane no race fuel. I think that's it.

Thanks, Aubrey

WOW, squish of 50 and 185psi on pump gas!!!! Good for you!! I was scared.

I'm using the exact same timing curve MSD recommends in their instructions. A little history here...Charlie Rossier and MSD partnered to produce the Enhancer, and the curve was used with the Rossier pipe.

Be very aware if the engine lays down on top, the 17/22 swirl loads the engine more than an XO would. One thing that is great about a Rossier...it really is forgiving and lets you know way in advance when you are about to burn one.

Thanks for pulling for my home team! Our girls won the LL World Series in Softball two weeks ago. This is the first time in history that the girls and boys from the same town are in the World Series.

Robert

Robert, now worried about loading the engine with this combination. I have been running it since 1996.I run in the 7300 to 7350 RPM range and a speed of 66.9 to 67.3,using Stalker Pro radar gun.I have over 100 hrs on this engine.I go to the lake run the crap out of it and back the next week. Going to freshen it up over the winter. I had a light seizure when I was first setting it up in 96. Wasn't enought to even replace piston. Took it out smothed the skirt a little with sandpaper and new rings and a little honeing and back to the lake.I am running the stock SeaDoo timing, 22 initial,start retard at 5000,5 degree retard,final timeing of 17 degrees. If I am not mistaken I read in one of your post that you were running 7 degree of retard,which would give you 15 degree of final timing after retard, and every thing else about the same as me. I think I read that you were running in the 7500 RPM range. Man that is turning some R's for a Rossier pipe. I thought Charlie told me the pipe's peak HP was in the 7300 range. I could be wrong though. What are you doing to get those extra R's?. Good luck in the upcomming ball games 3and 0 a pretty good start.

Thanks, Aubrey

Hey Aubrey, I think that timing curve is for my VE with a Spec II. My 96 is here, I may go out and snatch the gray box and confirm what it actually is.

I have a GK rec port, and it turned 7500 with a GK head, 170 lbs, at their minimum squish...I think it was .038"? Glen @ PPG asked me to try his head mill for comparison. It was .050" squish @ 185 lbs...and had a significantly harder holeshot and inceased 50 max rpm! Needless to say, I kept this head on...lol.

Every component on the exhaust side has been smoothed. Exhaust ports, manifold, and complete pipe. All gaskets are port-matched and trimmed with a Dremel to remove any overhang. On my stock intake, I taper-ported the carb side to match my Novi 42 carb diameter. The oil injection holes have been plugged with aluminum dowels and are also a smooth transition over this area. But...the intake tunnels are rough, not smooth. The pipe has a Jetworks valve on the stinger, 185 jet, and 100 jet under the brass elbow.

The pump is an old first generation Skat small hub pump, ported and smoothed in the stator area, and a Solas XO that is custom back-cut on the hub to allow it to fit the pump. 85/88 R&D nozzles, turning 7550 all day with reverse cooling.

Thanks for the WR boys...next game is Thursday at 8pm!

Rick @ Rossier once said he can't believe I am turning those rpms with his pipe. He said it is past it's powerband rpm. I told him he needs to come ride it and see... I have over 100 hours on my setup too. Very relaible, aren't they?

I know Rick well. Did you know Glenn Perry worked for Charlie in mis 90's? I bet your head and mine are about the same cut, being that Glen and Charlie were together at that time when the 787 came out.. I have also matched and smoothed all my port openings,head pipe,intake, I run a Rossier intake w/ spiket mounts. Love the spicket mounts.I think I am running the early pump also. It is the orig. one that came in the 95 XP 800. I also have the Jet works water valve. Been on there so long I can't rembember what jets I have in it and the pipe. I will look tomorrow. I am going to do a little testing trying a few different things. I would love to be able to reach that 68 MPH. When you get so far there is just about nothing left. I love the x4 hulls and mine is completely stock looking on the outside. Fool a lot of people when I wax them.

Aubrey

Thread Information