Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    +1

Oil/gas contamination

I'm experiencing "gas in oil" contamination on my FZS. My oil level will rise about 1/8" on the dipstick after every 2 hour of use (1 full tank of gas). The issue will be less prevalent on hard runs and will manifest itself more when doing mid-speed cruising.

I understand this is not a problem for stock SHO's. It may not even be a problem for people riding in warmer climates than where I am, or people riding @ high load most of the time. The issue has developped with the successive addition of mod parts. The good news is I'm familiar with this type of problem because I've had to deal with this on a regular basis on turbocharged snowmobiles. The fix is always the same -- get that oil temperature up in the 200F-220F range.

The problem is likely caused by a combination of 1-) increased piston blowby (read increased boost from my E1 wheel), 2-) engine running too cold at part cruise (read 145F degrees) and 3-) oil temperature not reaching gas evaporation temperature (around 205F degrees).

I've made many changes to my FZS that contribute to the above: E1 sc wheel and R&D cooling kit. I took an infrared reading of my oil temperature shortly after a typical run and it was at around 180F degrees.... too cold. I'm in the process of gradually restricting the oil cooler water outlets to increase oil temperature.... will post results.

+1
    Wow. Awesome info bud. Keep us posted. To be honest I wondered if it was possible for the R&D engine and IC cooling kit to work "too" good.

+1
    Are you using a 10w-30 or 10w-40 weight?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 800AMSOIL4U View Post
    Are you using a 10w-30 or 10w-40 weight?
    I used 15-40W and 20-50w. Oil ends up very thin with gas dilution. Going testing this afternoon with oil cooler lines restricted.

+1
    Good topic Martin. Please keep us posted!

+1

GIO--Happened to me. Thought I'd share...

Well, I've been wondering if (or when) this would happen to me since reading desperado's original post on 8/25. I have checked my oil level a bunch of times and have not seen any change in the level. This has concerned me because I installed the R & D Engine/Intercooler Cooling Kit and (based on desperado's post) his engine was running too cool causing his condition. My engine also runs very cool and gets faster when doing GPS runs instead of getting heat soaked--at least to a certain point with this kit installed. For those that don't know, this kit adds three high pressure cooling supplies to the engine--one to each the engine, intercooler and oil cooler and removes the thermostat among other things.

The temps are dropping at night to the high 30's F once in a whle and not getting much above mid to (once in a while) upper 70's where I live/ride during the day. Water temp about 5" down is 72° F.

Last Friday, I took my ski for a ride and had the lake to myself. I did a WOT blast and notice a very slight surge in power. Instantly, I had visions of loose ride plate screws and went directly to the shore only to find all four tight. I took another WOT blast and could now hear the problem in the exhaust note in addition to the power surge being worse. Went directly to the shore and checked the oil--it was WAY FULL. I was two lakes from my house (one is a 10 mph lake) so I rode home and pulled almost 4 1/2 quarts out with my Oil Boy. That was a trip as the most I have ever extracted was just over three quarts to that point. I didn't have any 10W-40 Amsoil Marine so I put Mobil 1 that I had back in and will replace with the Amsoil when it arrives on Wednesday of this week.

My immediate action was to install two ball valves in the R & D added supplies to the oil cooler and the engine. I think I may have to ultimately re-install the thermostat, though. Any thoughts?

Bad news is when I took the ski back out, there was a miss at redline. I am assuming (praying?) it's just a spark plug. Am having some trouble sourcing the stock plugs (LFR-6A) but used the search button () and found a nice thread where Advance Auto had them for $4 each--thanks BPnta (only dealer I found that had them was a Polaris dealer and he wanted $12+ each for them). However these Advance Auto plugs are the LFR-6A-11 plugs that are gapped at .044 instead of the .035 the OEM part number is gapped at. Just going to re-gap them and HOPE the miss goes away.

+1
    Good eye on watching your oil level so closely Craig. Do you have any way of measuring the oil temperature?

I have a feeling we are going to see more and more of this now that air and water temps are on their way down. I've done quite a bit of reading on this stuff (oil temps) since Desperado's original post and it is extremely important that the oil temps stay close to 200-220 range as he said.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    Good eye on watching your oil level so closely Craig. Do you have any way of measuring the oil temperature?

I have a feeling we are going to see more and more of this now that air and water temps are on their way down. I've done quite a bit of reading on this stuff (oil temps) since Desperado's original post and it is extremely important that the oil temps stay close to 200-220 range as he said.
    Embarrassed to say that I don't have any way to accurately monitor temps--oil or cooling. Worse part is that I don't want to beat on her until she's warmed-up but the GIO condition is supposed to be worse at half throttle...

I agree with more problems and cooler temps.

I really think a MoTeC would solve my cooling problems. Bet no one ever thought about it quite like that.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 5001craig View Post
    Embarrassed to say that I don't have any way to accurately monitor temps--oil or cooling. Worse part is that I don't want to beat on her until she's warmed-up but the GIO condition is supposed to be worse at half throttle...

I agree with more problems and cooler temps.

I really think a MoTeC would solve my cooling problems. Bet no one ever thought about it quite like that.
    Motec alone won't fix the problem. Desperado is running it and is still having the issue.

Any standalone ECU will give you the info you're looking for. The season is just about over and the Vipec/RIVA ECUs will be shipping shortly. That will give me all winter to tinker with it.

+1
    I ran the complete R&D engine/intercooler cooling kit for the first time on Saturday. Engine temps were a perfect 165 degrees while cruising and after several high speed WOT passes the most i saw was 185 degrees. Engine temps are perfect with this kit. I think what we do need is a ball valve in the optional oil cooler line. That way in cooler months just close off the valve and in hot summer months open it back up. Either that or not use the optional oil cooler line at all.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information