Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

I Just Changed Oil to Synthetic in the RXP

I used the Amsoil 0/W40 with no friction modifiers.
    They claim to have never had a claim for damage.

You guys running Castrol GTX sort of scares me more than the synthetic.

Everything I have read seems to lead toward the friction modifiers playing a big part in clutch slippage. The standard GTX oil is mineral based oil "WITH" all of the modifiers needed to protect a car engine during start up.

I believe that any oil rated for wet clutch systems would work, no mater which brand it just seems everyone is skipping around that fact.

I don't know maybe I am way off base. Even the guys at the SD place did not know the makeup of their oil. For all I know the oil they are using is like the GTX and has modifiers in it.

The service tech said they have been using the nonmoly Honda oil and have had almost no problems since using it.
    He claims most of their clutch problems arise from the customer putting in Mobil 1 Synthetic.

I suppose we will see what happens.

BTW if I were to do it over again I would change the oil on a new ski @ 3-4 hours. There seemed to be way too much in the oil filter, probably from just being a new motor. I will change the filter again in 2 hours or so just to be safe. What's $10 when you have one of these things anyway???

Later,

David

Some Amsoil Propaganda
    Excellent For Transmissions
    AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke Synthetic Motor Oil is wet clutch compatible and contains no friction modifiers, making it ideal for ATV and motorcycle engines. The friction modifier free formulation of AMSOIL 4-Stroke prevents slip and ensures transmission (manual or automatic) and clutch compatibility. Formula 4-Stroke is shear stable, effectively preventing viscosity breakdown caused by mechanical activity (meshing gears in transmissions), while high levels of anti-wear additives provide superior anti-wear protection.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	amsoil_205.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	10.1 KB 
ID:	468  

+1
    Cool deal David, let us know how it goes.

Just an update on oil..

Castrol "GTX" contains NO friction modifiers
    Castrol "GTX Startup" does, as does "GTX High milage"

They are 3 different oils and I don't think anyone here is running "Castrol GTX Startup" or "High milage"

I switched to Amsoil 10W40 Synthetic with no fricton modifiers and so far no problems. (its a motorcycle 4 stroke oil but its specs are as good as the 0W 40.

Side note, if the oil contains friction modifiers, then the clutch will eventually "slip" which is shown by a loss in boost. Far better than a clutch blowing apart. I'll take a slipping clutch over one that dissintergates any day.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunfunzoom
    I'll take a slipping clutch over one that dissintergates any day.

I second that!

+1
    I third that

..... and I will take a belt driven SC and run full synthetic and dont have to worry about seadoo's design flaw instead.

+1
    I'm not a fan of Amsoil. That company always knows how to bullshit the consumer. They remind me of the Snake Oil salesmen in days of old. They do the testing and of course the results are what they want them to be. They used to advise mixing their 2 stroke oil at a 100 -1 ratio. I'll bet a lot of engines wore out prematurely due to this info. Any oil company that has to have a dealer/distributor network of average Joes selling out of garages makes me suspect. I know that their 2 stroke oil is garbage, and I would feel better using a major oil companies 4-stroke synthetic motorcycle oil (for "wet" clutches) than I would Amsoil. But to each his own.

Richard

+1
    I love the 2 stroke stuff.
    When I was running the VE I had it down every other week for something and I can tell you that after switching over to the Amsoil there was way less cylinder wear. To the point of the cross hatch marks still easily visible where before they would be completely gone. Not to mention Way less smoke. I would never do the 100:1 thing but I suppose they backed off of that I do not know.
    We changed over my neighbors ski to Amsoil last year. When cleaning the raves on my wife’s boat he decided to do his just for the sake of doing it. After they were pulled he wiped them with a rag and cleaner and they looked like the day we blasted and cleaned them. No way would SD oil do that.
    I hate to sound like and Amsoil salesman, which I am not but I run it in everything I own and it outperforms every oil I have ever used hands down.

It is a hassle to get it but well worth it to me. Now if my clutch goes?????

I do not understand the dealer network as I just by though their website, but lots of top companies have done it for years, as they did not want idiots selling their product. One that comes to mind off hand is Alpine.

For years they only sold to the elite car stereo shops, and then you had to have it installed by their installers. Through the years that slacked up and now everyone sells them but the quality is almost gone.

As far as test results go I do not believe I have ever seen a test with Amsoil that they did not do so who knows. One thing I know for sure is that Mobil 1 is riding the coat tails of Amsoil on the extended drain intervals. I mean M1 started their PR junket for 7500 mile and 12000 mile oil changes and claiming it is the greatest thing since sliced white bread.

Amsoil has been doing that for years.

Sorry to ramble, I suppose everybody has a view on things, but if it is not like my view then maybe you need to get a new view???? LOL Just Kidding!

David

So what oil are you running Green Hulk ?

+1
    Castrol GTX 10w40

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information