Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation 06 VX110 Leaks at 100 hours?

I have 2 VX110's on the same trailer one with 100 hours and one with 105 hr both half filled the bildge after sitting in the water 18 hours. One a little worse than the other. I was trying to find the leak and when the water got up to the Shafts in both skis they started leaking out the shaft tubes into the intakes. My question is Has anyone seen this problem before ? This is the first time I have seen this drive configuration on a Yamaha. They book says pull the engine. Can you just pull the pump and slide the engine forward a little to get the shaft out????? Thanks

Leaking out of the shaft tubes? Are you talking about the intermediate housing plate area?....metal plate that bonds to the pump tunnel?

Yea the plate only holds the bearing. The rubber tube goes from bearing carrier to the plastic tube. So it has to be the bearing or A cracked Tube. Have not torn it down yet. The first bolt I went to take off snapped off so I figured I needed to take a brake.

Most 110s seam to have a lot of water in them when they come in. I figured it was because most here are Dock ornaments and dont get drained ever.

Turns out the problem isnt the Bearing or Seal but the hole peice of metal thats bonded to the hull with Glue was loose and a peice of the hull that secures it broken. These boats are owned by people over 50 and not ridden in the surf. Very well taken care of. Hope it doesnt turn out to be a normal problem that all VX110 have.

Yamaha rep came out and wants us to remove all the old glue and clean and reglue with 3M 5200. He had seen it before. So Remove the engine the screws and pump then pry up the pate clean and reglue. Then reassemble. I can safely say DO NOT JUMP WAVES with a VX110 or you will develop leaks. I would also say never leave it in the water overnight.. Dont pull the bolts on the bearing as they will break off. Yamaha quit using Quality hardware some years ago about the time they stopped painting the engines

My 05 Vx just started leaking from the metal plate this year. It's just a trickle...after riding a few minutes the vaccum siphon sucks it out. I recently put in a Rule 800gph bilge pump in and it solved the problem. It seems to keep from excess water from building up when sitting in the water for awhile.

When I first bought my Vx and looking inside the engine bay , I noticed the metal plate. I said to myself..."wow cool, looks like Yamaha built this area up to extra strong"...but then I started thinking more about glue adhering to metal plate that is being constantly subjected to vibration and shock.....not good. Nothing is really holding it down, except for (4) small bolts, for the bearing carrier.
    I heard some people having to pay $600.00 to have this fixed(out of warr.), only to have it start leaking a year later. It's a bad design and yamaha should recall this and get it reengineered.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewster View Post
    My 05 Vx just started leaking from the metal plate this year. It's just a trickle...after riding a few minutes the vaccum siphon sucks it out. I recently put in a Rule 800gph bilge pump in and it solved the problem. It seems to keep from excess water from building up when sitting in the water for awhile.

When I first bought my Vx and looking inside the engine bay , I noticed the metal plate. I said to myself..."wow cool, looks like Yamaha built this area up to extra strong"...but then I started thinking more about glue adhering to metal plate that is being constantly subjected to vibration and shock.....not good. Nothing is really holding it down, except for (4) small bolts, for the bearing carrier.
    I heard some people having to pay $600.00 to have this fixed(out of warr.), only to have it start leaking a year later. It's a bad design and yamaha should recall this and get it reengineered.
    I have the same problem with my VX(05) did anyone fix the problem?What do I need to do i doing it my self to try to save $$$.Any help!

+1
    Would these problems happen in an '08 vx? I do a lot of wave jumping and rough ocean riding.

+1

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by PEST! View Post
    Turns out the problem isn't the Bearing or Seal but the hole piece of metal thats bonded to the hull with Glue was loose and a piece of the hull that secures it broken. These boats are owned by people over 50 and not ridden in the surf. Very well taken care of. Hope it doesn't turn out to be a normal problem that all VX110 have.
    it's a very common problem-now I work with many ski from rental's so not the norm
    but it seem as the glue's just not bonding/applied well

cd

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information