Speedo question - 07 GPR

Just noticed today in the middle of my ride that my speedo acts a little funky at wide open throttle.... when going at a low speed or half throttle the speedo seems pretty consistent and average, about 5mph off from my GPS, but then when I go WOT it will read 60, 65, 67 then go down to 35, 33, 40, 31, 33, and bounce all around, not even consistent, but the second I let off and am going part throttle it reads the speed correctly and consistently... any idea what it is? I checked to make sure no sea-weed or anything was wrapped around the sensor in the back and there was nothing... any idea what it could be?

Nothin' runs like a Deere IowanGPR's Avatar
    they are more inaccurate as you go higher in speed. last time i had mine hooked up it read 86 but never bounced down like you explained. i would say there's nothing wrong with it. I cut mine off bc my GPS is more accurate anyway.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by IowanGPR View Post
    they are more inaccurate as you go higher in speed. last time i had mine hooked up it read 86 but never bounced down like you explained. i would say there's nothing wrong with it. I cut mine off bc my GPS is more accurate anyway.
    Mine said 78 stock one day.........DREAM-OMETER

Quote Originally Posted by IowanGPR View Post
    yeah i know its completely inaccurate, but they are consistent, as in dont drop down and up, back and forth, in speed readings. Wonder if having the different rideplate could make the speed reading go down? Maybe causing less water to go past the spinner thing causing it to read slower?

stock mine said about 74, now i get a solid 80 outta the dreamometer

Nothin' runs like a Deere IowanGPR's Avatar
    the angle of the plate will play with the speedometer but i dont know that it would cause it to go down at WOT like that

+1
    The stock speedo is pretty worthless as everyone else has said. What I have found is that a PET tach fits VERY nicely right over the speedo on the display...
    I think just about every GPR I have ever owned has always said "0" on the display...

+1
    It might just have some sand or something causing it to not spin right. I wouldn't be worried about it.

Thread Information