Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HELP !!Installed a new MPEM, well newer...no worky

Kinda long but If you have any insight please post!!

So I jsut got it in today.... 2000 XP and It was said to have a programmed key with it. So I just installed new MPEM and put the key on, and the fuel redlight lit up... then I pressed the button and I heard the starter start to kick and then nothing and the red light flashed and the fuel guage turned off and back on.

I checked the battery and it has lost some charge only 7.8 volts.
    Well I plugged the charger on and put it on 2 amp charge for a few, got up to 9.7 volts and tried again. This time no noise from the starter and no beeps......Im about to see if I just blew a fuse but other then that Im not sure what is doing. Oh and before the old MPEM fried it only beeped sometimes''Any Ideas??

Help!!

update: I installed my other battery from my Yamaha and tried again, still nothing, I plugged the other key to the MPEM that didnt work and fuel guage come on and then go off, like it does not read that one, so I think that is a good sign. Just cant get any beeps or to start, with the "(programmed key)" and the very first time I pushed the start button it tried to engage and then that was it..... I am starting to like my more simple Yamaha more...

Any Ideas??

Ground maybe......thats next i guess

Put a fully charged battery in it. Does it beep when you put the lanyard on? Can you check the starter for power going to it when you hit the button? You may also want to take the lanyard off and put it back on a couple times. Check the fuses in the MPEM

+1
    You need a new battery if it only has 9v after a charge. It should have 12-14v.

All fuses are fine, no beeps, but I dont thionk I have ever heard it beep since I got it.....and all my batteries (bike, mower, ski's) sit around 9.8-10.2 volts when they have sat for a few days. I had the charger on and had 11 volts going thru and still no start.

I tech at Sea doo said the start relay is fairly common to got out, especially after a mpem is cooked. I am going to try that and see, they told me how to jump ther terminals in the front coil box to check if the ski kicks over

Your battery voltage should be 12.3 volts minimum. If it is lower than that with no load you have issues right there

I have no doubt that my batteries are getting weak, but I did let my charger sit on the batter on the sea doo for about 6 hours and I was holding about 11.8 volts. When I went to start the ski I put the charger on 12amp charge and the voltage went up just into the 12's... but still nothing.

I jumped the start realay and got the motor to kick over. The old relay is a little rusty but not real bad.. Im going to replace this and see if this is the problem.

Could there be a problem with the post of beeper, since it dont beep?
    Where would I look for that?

just found a fuse in the starter relay box... never knew that was there...I was looking at the parts diagram and saw a fuse holder... anyways it is good and was a 15 amp..... Ill try a new relay

+1
    replace that relay and your BATTERY!!! dont take any chances with a weak battery. they can strad you in some bad spots. weak batteries will also cause lots of weird problems.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information