Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

PVC Pipe for Free Flow Exhaust Coupling

Hi
    I just took out my baffle and went straight from the watebox to the exhaust pipe using a 2 inch x 6 inch long schedule 40 PVC pipe as a coupling between the two hoses. Will this melt or will it be ok. I ran the engine on the hose for 30 minute and pvc just felt a bit warm. I also spinned the waterbox so that the neck was in line with the exhaust pipe to get a straight run, the position on the neck shouldnt matter. correct??
    thanks,
    steve

really?... have you put it in the water yet? If it were me, I would turn that waterbox back where it belongs.

I wouldnt think that the pvc would get too hot as the exhaust is watercooled. but...it might?? I would run it and see...

I dont understand what you are saying when you say that you rotated the waterbox. pics would be nice. how do you rotate it and get a good seal?

Nothin' runs like a Deere IowanGPR's Avatar
    what is so wrong with using a steel pipe?????? you KNOW it wont melt.

and i feel that the waterbox should be in the correct position instead of turned.

Quote Originally Posted by allstar71 View Post
    I wouldnt think that the pvc would get too hot as the exhaust is watercooled. but...it might?? I would run it and see...

I dont understand what you are saying when you say that you rotated the waterbox. pics would be nice. how do you rotate it and get a good seal?
    I think he meant that water box outlet was face up and he had turn it side way to make the outlet line up with the exhaust pipe and put a PVC pipe between it. I wouldn't use PVC because you'll probably be out riding all day at some point and melt the PVC. Check out ebay for some 2" aluminum straight pipe.

+1
    24th edition of Machinery's Handbook says PVC is rated at 180° F without pressure.

My experience is that it will handle pretty high temps.

However, my opinion is that the off-white color would not compliment the cool blue hoses in the back of my ski that came with the R & D cooling kit...

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunJon View Post
    I think he meant that water box outlet was face up and he had turn it side way to make the outlet line up with the exhaust pipe and put a PVC pipe between it. I wouldn't use PVC because you'll probably be out riding all day at some point and melt the PVC. Check out ebay for some 2" aluminum straight pipe.
    I could be wrong, but I wouldn't recommend PVC either. When I took my Riva exhaust out to do some other work the pipe had been hot enough to apparently blister some of the paint on it.

Light da fuse and run like hell ! Powder Keg's Avatar
    The 40 grade pvc may work ok to start, it is thick wall pipe. However, the heat may cause the pvc to become brittle and even crack.

If it survives the heat o.k then at least replace it a few times a year or every season.

keg

Quote Originally Posted by SHOBiz View Post
    I could be wrong, but I wouldn't recommend PVC either. When I took my Riva exhaust out to do some other work the pipe had been hot enough to apparently blister some of the paint on it.
    I bet your exhaust is hotter than most...

Quote Originally Posted by Powder Keg View Post
    The 40 grade pvc may work ok to start, it is thick wall pipe. However, the heat may cause the pvc to become brittle and even crack.

If it survives the heat o.k then at least replace it a few times a year or every season.

keg
    +1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information