Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Newbie Has No Spark

Sorry to make my first post in desperation, but I'm new to this jet ski deal and I thought I would pick up a ski cheap and see how I like it. Well, cheap isn't always good.

I did do a search and was unable to find the info I need.

The ski is a 97 Kawasaki 900 STX. We had trouble starting the ski when I tried it out, but it ran good once running. The price was right and I figured it just needed some maintenance so I bought it.

The first thing I did was to clean the carbs and check the reeds. The fuel adjustment screws had some corrosion on them, so I cleaned them up and figured I had the starting problem cured. After reassembling, I tried to start it and had no luck. I decided to check the spark and found that there wasn't any. I have already checked the spark boots (unscrewed them and checked the end of the wire) and they appear to be fine.

I don't have a manual yet and would like to get this thing on the water. (of course ) Does anyone have a direction for me?

Any help would be much appreciated!

I would open up the electrical bow in the back. You are most likly find that it is all corrided. You need to check all the connections and grounds.

Coils and trigger checked okay. I also checked all the connections inside the electrical box. Everything looked clean and dry.

I have replaced a few CDI in those skis. You might pull it and test it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nebraska View Post
    I have replaced a few CDI in those skis. You might pull it and test it.

Is that something I can bench test? I found a manual online and it doesn't say how to test it.

Quote Originally Posted by chinewalker View Post
    Is that something I can bench test? I found a manual online and it doesn't say how to test it.

Okay...I have it out again. Can anyone tell me how to test it?

I'm also having a starter issue. It tends to kick out while cranking. Is there any way that this could effect spark? It doesn't seem like it could to me, but I read somewhere that it is possible.

Is it because I'm new here?

+1
    Hey Chine.....not likely, it's more likely people are busy and there aren't many who have the answer for you. Sorry, but I have no answers that can be of help. Keep watching and moving it to the top is the best advice I have. I sometimes call the dealer, tell them I'm far from town and ask a few questions about determining how I can diagnose the problem........doesn't work very often, however.

Thanks! It's easy to get impatient. I'm just getting a little discouraged I guess.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by chinewalker View Post
    ...I'm also having a starter issue. It tends to kick out while cranking. Is there any way that this could effect spark?

It doesn't seem like it could to me, but I read somewhere that it is possible.
    I am not a Kawasaki guy, but have you checked the battery health?

When cranking, how low does the battery voltage drop?
    A really healthy battery will deliver right around 11.0 volts while cranking, sometimes more.

If the voltage drops rapidly while cranking, or dips to 10 volts or less, the battery is weak.

Other than the battery itself, you should confirm the CDI really is getting power, and the ground connections for the CDI (and everything else) really are 100% good, with zero ohms measured back to the battery negative post.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information